• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daktarin oral gel

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all
Squidgy has not been eating as much and has been 'chewing' a lot. The vet has said she is reluctant to do a dental on him straight away due to his age and the fact she can't see any immediate problems (eg. typical molar spurs). He also has no history of spurs.
She can see a small sore spot on the roof of his mouth, so is suggesting we use Daktarin oral gel for a couple of days to see if this helps.
Has anyone used this before?

We will be taking him back on Thursday if he doesn't perk up, as his left molars are longer than his right, and she says this may be a problem.

I use it on one of my guinea pigs, who gets a problem from time to time with her mouth (dental issues were ruled out). It's great stuff, but in a v small tube and over the counter. I got a real grilling from the pharmacist about my fictitious child last time I bought some! Dosage for guinea pigs is 0.5 ml to start with (3 x a day, then reduce down gradually).

Hope this helps, even though it's not bunnies!

I've used it for guineas too and it works a treat, but yes you have to tell a white lie to get it from the chemist!

Thanks for that warning! I just pretended it was for me.
First dose is in, so hopefully he'll start to feel better soon.

Did you say your vet recommended this? I have used it before when I had a throat infection.

Sounds like Squidgy's dental problem might not be too bad if the vets suggested holding off the dental, sometimes the dental is a must even in old age if it's considered things are neccesary. I had to let Ling Jai go for a dental even though he's quite old becuase his weight had dropped to about 800g or so and it was effecting him, thankfully he's recovered slowly although a week later he had lost a further 10% in weight, but he now seems to be putting on weight thanks to his daily porridge. Make sure you keep an eye on his weight by weighing him, if the weight goes down over time you might not notice it, I didn't, infact I thought he was getting fat, because he was always eating, which he was doing as it was harder for him to eat:(

Sounds like Squidgy's dental problem might not be too bad if the vets suggested holding off the dental, sometimes the dental is a must even in old age if it's considered things are neccesary. I had to let Ling Jai go for a dental even though he's quite old becuase his weight had dropped to about 800g or so and it was effecting him, thankfully he's recovered slowly although a week later he had lost a further 10% in weight, but he now seems to be putting on weight thanks to his daily porridge. Make sure you keep an eye on his weight by weighing him, if the weight goes down over time you might not notice it, I didn't, infact I thought he was getting fat, because he was always eating, which he was doing as it was harder for him to eat:(

Squidgy's lost 40g :cry: but we're trying to keep his weight up. We've managed to maintain it for a while now, but this is obviously going to be difficult now. He has some pureed vegetables for now and porridge, so we'll just have to keep going with it.

Squidgy's lost 40g :cry: but we're trying to keep his weight up. We've managed to maintain it for a while now, but this is obviously going to be difficult now. He has some pureed vegetables for now and porridge, so we'll just have to keep going with it.

I give Ling Jai a tablespoon of porridge twice a day, I will gradually have to increase it if I don't see a significant increase in weight, will also try and mush in some oxbow bunny basics after trying it dry first:)

Back