• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Upper age to castrate?

Alice's mum

Warren Scout
I'm taking on a third rescue rabbit tomorrow who is about 4-5 years old but in good health. Ideally I'd like to get him neutered and eventually get him a friend but I wondered what people's opinions on neutering at his age are? My female was spayed at age 3-4 and was okay.

Thanks.

Thanks, thats great news. I look forward to getting him. Unfortunately, I think he has been there a while due to his age.

Thanks, thats great news. I look forward to getting him. Unfortunately, I think he has been there a while due to his age.

That's not old so try not to be down about it. I adopted my doe last year when she was 6.5 and supposedly had loads of health issues including teeth, dodgy tum and funny dermatitis around her mouth.

Had her a whole year now and only had to pay for her vaccinations despite getting her teeth checked regularly (not needed a dental), her dematitis has gone, have sorted her diet so she doesn't have a runny tummy and she runs around the garden with her 2 year old husbun like she's 2.

Don't let age cloud your opinion as he may surprise you with the right care :wave:.

I am bonding a boy bun week after next. His new owner got him castrated a month back. He is nine and in theory should have had some health issues as the home he came from wasn't good at all. But, he was in good enough health and came through the op well enough. He took longer to recover though - probably as it would be with us hoomins.

So long as your vet is happy to try and neuter and your vet is really bunny savvy I'd say that I'd be guided by him/her.

Good luck.

Helen

I'm sure he will be fine too. Can't wait to get him settled in. Hoping to get him an older female too. My existing pair were a nightmare to bond (female went through several males ripping them to shreds before she decided on current one) so am not going to risk adding him to them :D

Thanks for the support will let you know how he gets on.

Look forward to following your updates.

Bunny love is the best kind.

My oldest residents

IMG_1399.jpg

I found myself pretty much in the same position when Ling Jai was 4, but I did not have to consider his intergration with other bunnies and decided against it:D

We had Squidgy done when he was about 5. He's a single housebun, but had started to buzz round me and I couldn't go near him without getting sprayed :shock: so we decided it was best. He was absolutely fine, and is now well over 8 years old.

We had Squidgy done when he was about 5. He's a single housebun, but had started to buzz round me and I couldn't go near him without getting sprayed :shock: so we decided it was best. He was absolutely fine, and is now well over 8 years old.

we had the exact same problems with Ling Jai, he was particularly keen to urinate on women, you could tell he wanted to do it because he had a determined look on his face;) I did not know this behaviour was because he hadn't been fixed, but now he's older and relaxed he doesn't do this anymore:D

Picked up 'steel' from the rescue yesterday. Seems very fit and healthy so will let him settle in then its off with his bits! He is absolutely lush and I can't believe he has been overlooked because of his age. Thanks for all the advce :wave:

DSCF5590.jpg

Back