• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herb Garden

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
I've decided to make my patch of garden into a herb garden for the bunnies. I just been on jekkasherbfarm site and there are hundreds of different herbs.

I was thinking of growing some from seed and getting some plants.

My list so far

Parsley
Dill
Thyme
Coriander
Echinecea
Yarrow
Mallow
Marigold
Meadowsweet
I might do wild strawberry

I will keep mint, lemon balm, rosemary and lavender in pots to stop them taking over.

What else could I have?

fennel...mine adore this and its really easy to grow and looks nice too. It's supposed to be good for gassy bellies!
geum is a nice shrub too which is o,.k for buns and mine really like it and has nice flowers. It does grow tall but might be good for back ground

I can't think of any others but the Works bookshop in Banbury is selling herb seeds at 3 for £1 at the moment....they say £2 each on the back of the packets so total bargain, I bought lots to grow for the buns :D

Well I got some sage, flat leaf parsley, basil, coriander seedlings to grow on the other day. Hope they survive outside in the greenhouse with this snow. The basil is on the window sill. Would like some edible flowers as well.

plantain2.jpg

Plantain?

fennel...mine adore this and its really easy to grow and looks nice too. It's supposed to be good for gassy bellies!
geum is a nice shrub too which is o,.k for buns and mine really like it and has nice flowers. It does grow tall but might be good for back ground

ugh dont they just i had loads of pots started in my greenhouse once, in my old place, and simon who i was fostering (tigerbabe has him now) was free range in my garden, the lil monkey polished all my dill off within 15 mins

as for corriander, thats better grown on your window sill its a very frustrating herb to grow, doesnt do well outdoors in this country, just straight in the ground, same goes with basil

nasterum (typo) are loverly flowers and leaves to eat and bun freindly, buttttttttttttt i will say i used to grow these as sacrifical plants with my runner beans as blackfly love them, also its very important to pluck the flower heads before they seed, as they grow all over the place if left,

you can eat rosemary flowers, lavender flavours cream loverly on a strawberry salad, theres a certain violet you can eat too

ooo angelica grows straight up and tall can be treated like rubarb,

theres chickory which buns loves and sorral too

i likes me herbs me :D,

try
differant mints, linus used to love lavender mint, though to me smelt a bit like cat pee :lol: but garden mint for your boiled tatties and pepper mints for your teas ( of course in pots )

feverfew is for headaches again prolific, but easy for cutting so you can sell to freinds, same with lemon balm and apple mint

lemon balm is gorgous grown round and edge the smell just lifts you, loverly tea , again easy cutting but prolific

I tried this in the summer, except I grew them in pots and put them ontop of the old hutch, out of harms reach. Or so I thought! Strawberry went on the rampage and finished off 2 parsley plants, a whole tomatoe plant including the stalk and a strawberry plant all in the time it took me to go to the loo!

Back