• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tail amputation?

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Is a tail amputation a common operation for a vet to perform, or is it a tricky operation, that should be avoided if possible?

It's usually a fairly straight forward op, although depends what the problem is that requires amputation and exactly how much needs removing.

On what sort of animal? I imagine it would be more risky the smaller the animal because of blood loss. My friend's cat had his tail amputated and he recovered really quickly :)

ETA: sorry, didn't realise this was in rabbit chat! Don't know anything about amputation in rabbits :oops:

Last edited:
My friends french lop had her tail amputated :) She did get infection in it after the op, but after a strong course of antibiotics she was fine :)

xxx

Hmmm!! I'm having to think about a tail amputation for Mai, she has a fairly long tail.

Why? Animals have stumpy tails, short tails, long tails... Is there an ongoing medical problem with it? Have I missed a thread somewhere?

Why? Animals have stumpy tails, short tails, long tails... Is there an ongoing medical problem with it? Have I missed a thread somewhere?

Oh, i mentioned her tail was long as i didn't know if it would affect the op :oops:

She injured the end of it last summer, and since it has had to remain banaged every second of everyday otherwise she bites it. She has got the banage off five times now and bitten it all open. So she keeps having to have antibiotics and have it washed etc. Even when it's left banaged until its fully healed and all the furs back, as soon as its unbanaged she bites it open again. The vet said its a habit thing and just keep it banaged - but with her occasionally getting the banage off and doing more damage, i didn't know whether she could have it removed instead :? I'm scared she'll end up with a bad infection eventually.

Last edited:
:wave::D<<PHEW!!. I was pretty sure that there must be an underlying reason other than the length, but just had to ask:lol::lol: Poor thing, I see why you are considering now.

:wave::D<<PHEW!!. I was pretty sure that there must be an underlying reason other than the length, but just had to ask:lol::lol: Poor thing, I see why you are considering now.

Dont worry, it isn't because she wanted some plastic surgery done :lol:

I'm not sure if there's an alternative option, but i just don't see how i can stop her biting it. I had hoped she would have forgotten about it by now and left it alone :(

Is there a danger she'd still bite the stump where it is, ie you'd have the same problem but higher up towards her back...? :?

I'm not sure what species you are talking about but guess it's a dog?

I would have thought an amputation was fairly routine for a vet.

As the tail is part of the spine I'd also be worried that if she continues to damage herself that she could get a nasty infection- I'd definately discuss options with the vet.

We've had a rabbit that had to have a tail amputation- he managed to completely de-sheath it:mrgreen:. He recovered quickly and it healed beautifully.

At risk of being stupid. This reminds me of XMissySJX & Peanut Butter.
He bit off a claw because of pain from infection from a hock sore tracking down a tendon. Could the injured tail be uncomfortable perhaps?
I see amputation as effective if it removed a source of pain/discomfort.

just out of interest can any vet amputate a tail? i was told only certain vets can do or that might just be dogs because of the law :? or i might of been told a load of rubbish :oops::lol:

just out of interest can any vet amputate a tail? i was told only certain vets can do or that might just be dogs because of the law :? or i might of been told a load of rubbish :oops::lol:

It'll be something to do with dog tail docking....not amputation. (I'd guess.)

I agree with thumps_ - compulsive biting is usually a sign of ongoing pain in a rabbit and as long as all of the painful region of the tail is removed then she should stop this.
An amputation is a relatively simple procedure and vets that routinely carry out rabbit anaesthetics and surgery (neuters, dentals etc) should be able to do this. The legal aspect is where dogs are docked, so doesn't apply.

Back