• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New girl on the block - advice sought please

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, :wave: I have joined this wonderful site today - I took in 2 unwanted dwarf netherland sisters last April and am seriously in love! They have full reign of the garden and have given my own daughters and I such delight I could never have imagined! I am now looking to take on another 2 dwarf rabbits - but as I still have a lot to learn can anyone advise me before i do so? Thank you in anticipation

welcome to the group:wave:
are you thinking of keeping the 2 new bunnies with the ones you already have? and what advice do you need? everyone is so helpful and friendly here so whatever you need to know just ask away!!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What sort of accomodation are your rabbits in? With any sort of rabbit, the bigger the better really but the RSPCA say that 180cm length x 90 cm width x70cm height for 2 rabbits is the minimum hutch size. If you want more rabbits, you may be better off buying a shed and attaching a run.

I ask because when you are looking to get more rabbits, it is not quite as easy as just getting a couple more and chucking them in, they need to be introduced properly on neutral territory. You also need to think about what will happen if your rabbits don't get on very well with the new ones. If you get them from a rescue, they will take them back but if you get them from a pet shop then you will be on your own.

If it was me, I would stick with the rabbits you have until you are certain that you can cope with more. It's not just the extra time and space, you also need to think about the expense too. It costs me about £120 to have mine vaccinated every year plus any other medical bills (for example, when one of mine has GI Stasis, that costs about £60-£100).

Hope this helps,

FC x

I have been told everyone is lovely by a lovely lady named Hilda - I would of course love all 4 bunnies to be friends but was advised I should keep them apart at first. I am waiting on a delivery of a bunny mansion for my little ones so there will be 2 lots of accommodation available - how should go about introducing 2 new ones to the others and what if any are the best sexes to go with 2 little sisters?

Hi and welcome to RU. You are just round the corner from me I am in little sutton. Hilda is really lovely as is everyone on the forum. We will have to meet up for a gossip at some point - its always handy to have bunny people nearby give me a shout if you do decide to bond them and want a hand :D

I have been told everyone is lovely by a lovely lady named Hilda - I would of course love all 4 bunnies to be friends but was advised I should keep them apart at first. I am waiting on a delivery of a bunny mansion for my little ones so there will be 2 lots of accommodation available - how should go about introducing 2 new ones to the others and what if any are the best sexes to go with 2 little sisters?

I wonder if it is the same Hilda we all know and love :), she'll put you on the right path if so.

I would probably go with two females (sisters if possible), I'd have thought they would be easier to bond than two males.

What lovely people you all are!! Would love to meet up and talk 'bunny' sometime and get some good advice (Kath?) - I would be looking to take in unwanted bunnies rather than from a petstore so I guess I would look on here or RSPCA do you reckon? I got my 2 from the website at work - maybe I will post a 'wanted' there when my new accommodation has been built!

What lovely people you all are!! Would love to meet up and talk 'bunny' sometime and get some good advice (Kath?) - I would be looking to take in unwanted bunnies rather than from a petstore so I guess I would look on here or RSPCA do you reckon? I got my 2 from the website at work - maybe I will post a 'wanted' there when my new accommodation has been built!

Yes definately on here I do some voluntary work for Wirral RSPCA so that would be a good place to start

Is that the one in Wallasey? Why isn't there a more local one - like say Chester? Would you be able to let me know of any that come in or would I have to contact them direct??

Is that the one in Wallasey? Why isn't there a more local one - like say Chester? Would you be able to let me know of any that come in or would I have to contact them direct??
The Wallasey branch covers Chester, there is also Warrington but its quite a way away. You can see all the buns on the Wirral website, they are really good and update it at least once a week
http://rspcawirral.piczo.com/?g=52836090&cr=5

I had fudge as a foster bun for a bit he was :love:

Don't know how but have managed a pic on my profile!! Will ask my daughter to do it again later when she comes in! This is Rozie (black) and Izzy (white) they are absolutely gorgeous! Rozie is the quieter one who loves to lick you and be stroked, Izzy loves to run off and hide under the shed when you go to pick her up, but when she is on your knee she is gorgeous too and loves nudging everything!! two lovely little sisters who have definitely enriched our lives hugely!!

I wonder if it is the same Hilda we all know and love :), she'll put you on the right path if so.

I would probably go with two females (sisters if possible), I'd have thought they would be easier to bond than two males.

:oops::oops:AW..thank you...yep C'est moi!:oops::)

Welcome to the forum! I couldn't believe it when Kath (Webbkath)told me you'd already joined!! She came round this afternoon to see Dave.

Re bonding: Yu've already got a bonded pair, so it would be worth trying to bond another pair with them to make a foursome. Leanne and I had a successful bonding session when we managed to ombine her 3 groups of two into a successful group of 6. Kath's just down the road from you and would certainly give you help and support as well.:D

Everyone seems one big happy family on here and all with a sincere love for bunnies - how sweet - and glad to be part of the team!! Spoke with Gill earlier and will try and arrange time off work to see Margaret and Henry - new mansion arriving this week too!! Hope to meet up with Kath too - another fountain of knowledge I expect! :p

We all share our experiences and learn from each other.:) Quite often the advice can be conflicting but you just have to choose the route which suits you and your buns. Eg..Bonding..I know Gill and I differ in our approach to bonding. I do the fast one whereas she prefers the slow one..both work depending on personalities.:)

Back