• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what made you get bunnies?

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
for me it was one july, it was carnival day where we live, 6th july 1997 to be exact , my cousin was round at my nans and i had stayed there overnight, she was setting off back home when she ran back in the house and said there is a huge rabbit in the garden :shock:

we didn't believe her she often made silly stories up and we said she dreamed things :oops: :lol: but i went outside and saw this huge bunny, nan then came out and said we need to catch her, me and nan stayed on one side and my cousin, managed to grab her as she tried to run in the over direction, luckily we did as when we did this dog jumped over the fence and was trying to attack her :shock:, we put her in the house, my uncle found a large cardboard box to put her in, we gave her some greens

we suspect she was abandoned by the fairground people ( as n numerous years after other bunnies were found also :shock:), no one claimed her, even though we put notes up in shops etc

i wanted her as i fell in love, she was a french lop, she licked me and thats how i fell in love, i felt i had made a friend :love:, my sister and me managed to persuade dad who told mum, as mum wasn't really an animal person at the time, she hated pets

my uncle called the rabbit thumper, as she was stamping her feet scared at first :lol:, when we went out nan left alarm on and forgot the box was near where alarm set off, she set house alarm off :lol::lol::lol:

me and my sister brought her home to live with us, and grandad made her a temporarily hutch until he made us a proper one, she was our rescue bunny, it took time to gain her trust but she loved sleeping on my sister, from then we went onto getting mitzi our mini lop, and when mitzi was done they loved together, my bunny love goes on from there really

That's such a nice story!

I'd never really been interested in rabbits before and had only ever had guineas growing up. Then one day I went to get the guineas food from PAH and I saw an absolutely stunning mini lop which melted my heart.

From that day I decided I had to get a bunny so I did some research, made sure I knew how much time and effort I'd have to put in ... a lot more than what I originally thought. I didn't even know that rabbits could be neutered or vaccinated! I prepared everything from where to keep them, what bedding, what food etc and decided on getting a bunster from a breeder (before coming on here I wasn't aware so many bunnies needed rescuing :oops:). I went into PAH again to get some more guinea food and there was this tiny tiny little mini lop cross (now known as Archie) who was being bullied by the other mean bunnies. He was just sat cowering in the corner thumping :cry:

I asked if I could have a hold of him and this girl got him out for me. He was so skinny. My heart melted and I decided I had to have him. And now we live happily ever after .... :love:

i wanted one as a kid.. dad said no..

then my bloody mate had baby bunnies and i really wanted one :oops: read they were wallpaper chewers and talked myself out of it.

few years later, we had just lost george and my mom was getting pet lonely so my mom had a deaf collie from stes mom, she should of been a working dog but the farmer couldnt use her being deaf.. somehow we presuaded stes mom to let her come to brum, she was too much for my mom and when we had her spayed my mom was covered in bruises from the collar so i tried her here and Ralph got so depressed she had to go back to stes mom :cry::cry::cry: i was heatbroke she was a real womans dog and we got on brilliant then ste said yes to a bunny, we went to get alvin that night...pearl was because of a thread on RU that made me realise the Alvin needed a bunny pal especailly with Ste getting a job at that time.

My best friend has bunnies, and since my parents wouldn't let me have any other pet, I decided that maybe rabbits would be best for me. Them I descovered Rabbit Rehome, and found a rescue near me. I had dome months of research, and upon finding the green fields rescue webside, went to a local garden centre and went "shed hunting". It took a few weeks for the shed to arrive, but when it did we went to the rescue centre and Timmy and Tilly just "felt right" for us. We ended up picking them (as well as a run) up the following weekend

I got Clover and Blackberry, my lionhead does, from the OH of the time's sister. She used to breed, but had lost interest as teenagers do. :roll: Mum said "If you don't look after those bunnies, I'll get rid!"

Sister didn't listen, so mum said "Want a rabbit?" one day when I went up. :lol: So I picked the black and white one, and said I'd take another if she wanted - so she gave me Blackberry too, the other doe.

When they died, I saw Hope and Faith on gumtree and inquired, and got lucky enough to be picked to have them. They were in a 3x3 cage when I went, full of poo and wee and absolutely revolting. I brought them home, bumwashed and they're hopping around merrily. :D

Yuki I brought home from Kirkby last weekend after falling in love with his little pink eyes. :love::lol:

My OHs family had an unplanned pregnancy with their bunnies and OH begged me to have one so I agreed, we went to see them and picked a little grey and white one. After about 4 weeks OH went to look at our little grey bunny and came back with a box - I was :shock: (as I thought he had bought it home at 4 weeks!). When I got back I opened the box and there was a bald black and white one - he said it was so ill and smaller than the others that he had to bring it home! We didnt expect it to last the night :cry:
babysooty.jpg

But she did and is nearly 1 now! :D (sooty in my signature).

Oreo was a P@H bunny, we had been on holiday for 2 weeks in spain and had just picked Sooty up from Boarding, the couple who looked after her said she was so interetsed in other bunnies and I thought then maybe we should get her a friend (not having joined RU at this point and not knowing about pairs etc) - we stopped off for some hay and came back with Oreo! :D

Charlie came to me just before christmas as he wasnt wanted anymore and was going to have to spend christmas at a vets so I got him the day before christmas eve! The story of my 3 buns :love:

My OHs family had an unplanned pregnancy with their bunnies and OH begged me to have one so I agreed, we went to see them and picked a little grey and white one. After about 4 weeks OH went to look at our little grey bunny and came back with a box - I was :shock: (as I thought he had bought it home at 4 weeks!). When I got back I opened the box and there was a bald black and white one - he said it was so ill and smaller than the others that he had to bring it home! We didnt expect it to last the night :cry:
babysooty.jpg

But she did and is nearly 1 now! :D (sooty in my signature).

Oreo was a P@H bunny, we had been on holiday for 2 weeks in spain and had just picked Sooty up from Boarding, the couple who looked after her said she was so interetsed in other bunnies and I thought then maybe we should get her a friend (not having joined RU at this point and not knowing about pairs etc) - we stopped off for some hay and came back with Oreo! :D

Charlie came to me just before christmas as he wasnt wanted anymore and was going to have to spend christmas at a vets so I got him the day before christmas eve! The story of my 3 buns :love:

omg sooty looks amazing :love:

:D thanks - I love this pic of her as she is just so huge and healthy looking - what a contrast - so glad my OH brought her home!

CIMG0684.jpg

My Love of bunnies happened by accident.
My niece had a friend on my street she played with when she came to me at the weekends and I went to fetch her from the girls house one day for dinner and saw a dog worrying a little fluffy bunny on the garden.
I got real mad and took the bunny from the dog and started yelling at the girls mum who was watching it happen and did nothing.
I told her I was taking the rabbit away and the woman started crying saying she couldnt look after it properly and said I could take the bunny and the hutch if I didn't report her.
I took the bunny home, cleaned out her smelly awful tiny hutch and had every intention of taking the rabbit to the rspca the next day.
It was raining that night and I could hear the bunny thumping outside and I brought her inside and let her loose in my house.
I never went to sleep that night as I was sat on my sofa with the bunny while she huddled under my hand.
The next day she jumped on my sofa and I found this site while looking for a rescue centre near me and she started running the length of the sofa real fast and binkying each time she got to the end.
I got real worried thinking she had mental scars from being worried by the dog and then I found out from other members on here she was doing a happy dance and it just melted my heart.

I have never looked back from that day and love her to death.:love:

I had always loved animals as a child and can remember wanting rabbits since I was about ten.

I was never allowed one though.

Buuuut, I found Molly on the road outside my house and her owners never came forward for her.
My whole family had fallen in love with her after a few hours of her being with us, she is such a confident, cheeky, intelligent bunny, she made herself at home right away.
The picture in my signature is the day I got her, she was so relaxed and happy.

I then got Brian Boy because she couldnt be on her own.

i was on holiday down in somerset with my parents and grandad.
Visited a farm, where they had petting and bird display.
When we arrived we went into the petting area, in the barn and the women placed this tiny white rabbit on my lap. one ear up and one ear down :love:
i fell in love!!

When coming out of the barn i noticed a sign... Baby Rabbits Free to good homes.
ALL day i was asking to have him.
My dad kept saying no :(
Was time to go home, got into the car, shut the door....
My dad turnt around and said: "Are you going to get that bloody rabbit or what?"
My face light up! and i ran, i mean RAN :lol: to go get him.
The lady put him in a box, gave me some food as we were going home the next day and we took him back to the static caravan :love:

then my grandad thought he was for dinner :shock: :lol:

Sadly, Harvey is now gone :( went to the bridge far too early :( last year.
But because of him, i gave two needed girlys a home :love:

ill never forget this story, nor him.
he was my big cuddley boy :love:

As a child had always had bunnies .They were all diffrent characters and were loved by all the family.Some lived a long life but others not so long.I loved them all Sooty,Ralph,Peter ,Honey.
My partner surprised us last Christmas when she got a rabbit for my son.I suddenly realised what i had ben missing in my life; my love for rabbits.
I fell in love with Molly and through this forum realised she needed a mate.So investd in a huge Wendy House and run.And then got little boy Joker as a mate for the lovely Molly from a local rescue.They fell in love straight away and i love them to bits.
I can honestly say with all the stresses and strains of life these two just make everything fade into obscurity ,Just wish i could have more.
My heart goes out to all the rescues who do a fantastic job.
And if a lottery win does happen,there will be the biggest rabbit home ever.

i was on holiday down in somerset with my parents and grandad.
Visited a farm, where they had petting and bird display.
When we arrived we went into the petting area, in the barn and the women placed this tiny white rabbit on my lap. one ear up and one ear down :love:
i fell in love!!

When coming out of the barn i noticed a sign... Baby Rabbits Free to good homes.
ALL day i was asking to have him.
My dad kept saying no :(
Was time to go home, got into the car, shut the door....
My dad turnt around and said: "Are you going to get that bloody rabbit or what?"
My face light up! and i ran, i mean RAN :lol: to go get him.
The lady put him in a box, gave me some food as we were going home the next day and we took him back to the static caravan :love:

then my grandad thought he was for dinner :shock: :lol:

Sadly, Harvey is now gone :( went to the bridge far too early :( last year.
But because of him, i gave two needed girlys a home :love:

ill never forget this story, nor him.
he was my big cuddley boy :love:

What a cute story. I used to love it when I was little and my parents did stuff like that. Go on all day about how your not having something, then randomly out of the blue go "Go on then".

My OH got a new job at the Telegraph which involves a lot of shifts and we moved to a new town where I knew no-one. I was getting really lonely, so we talked about it for 6 long months and then got Biscuit.

I am so glad we did, she is my precious girl :love::love:

OH fell in love with Deej when he saw him (just after he was born). I guess that's what they call animal magnetism, as neither of us had had bunnies before or thought of getting one!

At 5 years old i begged my dad for a rabbit, so we got a few books on rabbit care and went to look at some rabbits. My first Beauty was from a private rescue. We then went on to get 11 more All names after characters from my fav film beauty and the beast lol. By 13 they had all crossed the bridge.

Here i am 10 years on with 6 more buns. All rescue's.

My friend had a dwarf lop doe and wanted someone to look after her while she went on holiday, the previous holiday minders hadn't done a very good job and she was found the other side of the area, had travelled about 1 mile and was lucky to have survived and was taken to RSPCA. I looked after her and really got attached to her so that when she went back I was really upset, she wouldn't settle either as she had enjoyed free range time with me so they said I could have her as she was becoming a bit of a handful :lol: She was so happy to be back and that was it I was hooked ..........

I was one of those mothers who bought one for our children thinking its only a rabbit we can just buy a huch and keep it in the garden it wont take much looking after (terrible i know but that was before we got her),she is now a big part of our family and has free range everywhere in the house and I dont think our home would be the same without her, I didn't think rabbits were as loving and clever,, this forum has really helped us and we will soon be looking for a friend for her as I think she is lonely

Back