• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it Stasis? How do I know? U/D - eating hay - panic over!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry to cross-post but I put this in Health section and I dont think anyone is viewing that at this time of night, so wondering if anyone here can help?

(Thread called Ivermectin -How do I know if its Stasis or not? Posted 11.30pm)

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me a little bit of reassurance.

We took Starbuck to the vets today for a check of his teeth and I pointed out a little scabby bit in his fur. The vet took one look and said it was a type of parasite (possibly Cheytellierosis? - not sure I have spelt that right).

She gave us some Ivermectin to treat Starbuck, but said all the rabbits would need treating, including Twinkle and Star who live outside.

We applied the Ivermectin about 5pm - none of the bunnies liked it - but they pretty much all went about their usual business apart from Twinkle. She normally is a very energetic bunny and loves her food. But she is not eating. My husband took a big pile of veg out to them this evening and she wasnt interested at all, and was very lethargic - very out of character for her.

It may have just been the stress of coming in to the house to have it put on and the feeling of it on the back of her neck. But I am a bit worried that she is out of sorts.

Please can anyone give me advice if there is anything I should do?
Helen

Update as of 12.10am:

Checked on Twinkle again - she is still not eating, but has been in her litter tray though difficult to tell if it was for a wee or a poo. She is drinking though, which is a good sign. But still no interest in food at all. Its so unlike her. I dont know what to do.

Last edited:
They always do it at the worst times, don't they?! At this stage for my bunnies, I would offer dandelion leaves or herbs, possibly a pineapple treat. If they didn't want it, I'd then syringe feed water and recovery food and make them run around a little. I do that every hour for a couple of hours, and if it doesn't work I then call the vet.
It's probably the disruption that's caused some upset.
You might want to give the vet a quick ring to reassure yourself?

Typical - after worrying for a few hours and cross-posting on here, she is now eating hay!!!

Sorry guys to waste your time...! :oops:

I am really relieved though and she is (hopefully) ok so that is the main thing.

Thanks for your advice - sorry to cause confusion!!!
:oops:

I'm glad she's ok. :love::love: They like to pick their moments don't they! :roll::lol:

At this stage for my bunnies, I would offer dandelion leaves or herbs, possibly a pineapple treat. If they didn't want it, I'd then syringe feed water and recovery food

I wouldnt syringe anything until the bun had been seen by a vet.Syringing ,if the bunny has a blockage, will only make things worse! :(

Pheweee! Glad she's eating again!

Daisylop - I would only do this a couple of times before going to the vet. In my experience, it is usually gas and these measures will often get rid of the problem.
I absolutely agree though that vet attention is vital if you're not sure.

:wave: Thanks everyone for the advice.

She is back to her normal self today, running around as if nothing has happened. Really strange, and makes me feel like a right drama queen over nothing now!!! :roll::lol::lol::lol:

Back