• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivermectin - How do I know if its Stasis or not? U/D She is eating hay now!!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me a little bit of reassurance.

We took Starbuck to the vets today for a check of his teeth and I pointed out a little scabby bit in his fur. The vet took one look and said it was a type of parasite (possibly Cheytellierosis? - not sure I have spelt that right).

She gave us some Ivermectin to treat Starbuck, but said all the rabbits would need treating, including Twinkle and Star who live outside.

We applied the Ivermectin about 5pm - none of the bunnies liked it - but they pretty much all went about their usual business apart from Twinkle. She normally is a very energetic bunny and loves her food. But she is not eating. My husband took a big pile of veg out to them this evening and she wasnt interested at all, and was very lethargic - very out of character for her.

It may have just been the stress of coming in to the house to have it put on and the feeling of it on the back of her neck. But I am a bit worried that she is out of sorts.

Helen

Last edited:
Checked on Twinkle again - she is still not eating, but has been in her litter tray though difficult to tell if it was for a wee or a poo. She is drinking though, which is a good sign. But still no interest in food at all. Its so unlike her. I dont know what to do. :(

Any advice, anyone?

Hmm... I can see why you'd be concerned. You definitely need to figure out whether she's pooing or not and go from there. I don't know of any reasons why the ivermectin might cause an issue (it's not one I've heard of before, anyway).

edit: how do her ears feel? If they feel cold, she's losing temperature and needs to be kept warm (indoors).

I would bring her indoors to see how she behaves, and if she is still out of sorts and not eating I'm afraid a trip to the vets is in order xx

Thank you both for replying.

I will check her ears when I next pop out to check on her. We havent brought her indoors because I didnt know if that would stress her more, and not being with Star her sister, as they reassure each other I think. Its also quite warm in the house compared to outside, so I was just wondering if this would cause more problems?

Oh, never mind- hubby has just come back in and says she is eating hay!!! Yay!!!:D:D

Ooh that's great news! :)

In answer to the question about temperature, it all depends if they are losing temperature as to whether bringing them indoors would cause more trouble. If they are in stasis their temperature goes very low, so they need warmth. :)

Fingers crossed everything is well. x

Oh I see, I will know that for the future then, thank you for the info.

I am so pleased she is ok and eating hay again now. It was so unusual for her not to want food as she is always the first to come running for treats or dinner.

Thanks for the advice. :wave::)

Yes it says that in the leaflet and also inappetance. I didnt know how long it would last or what I should do, whether it was serious or not or whether it would cause stasis etc.

The good news is that she is back to her normal self today - running around outside and got her appetite back so it must have just been temporary. Very strange. But I am very relieved!:D

Back