• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please from outdoor bunn folk!

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Would you mind telling me your daily routine please? Especially when you feed. Mine live in an 8x4 condo with upstairs bedroom and toilet!! They have lots to play with and a tunnel and cardboard boxes that they love to sleep in. I let them out before I go to work but can only give them about 20min. In the evening about 7.00 they get out again for about 1.30min and they run between their yard and my kitchen, hall, stairs and landing. They seem happy and full of beans and love to go back to the condo - they look very much at home in there.

It's just a bit of a chore though feeding them twice a day. Would be easier if I could just give them everything in the morning and then just have to let them out and play with them in the evening without having to cart out their second supply of nuggets, more hay, dried dandilions, etc.

Does anybody just feed once or is it better to spread it out throughout the day. Or could I make feeding any more interesting for them? Answers on a postcard!

postcard.jpg

:lol::lol: @ postcard!
Mine are fed pellets and hay in the morning and then more hay and veg in the evening. I always like to feed twice a day morning and eve because it helps me keep an eye out for any tummy upsets morning and evening becaus they all love their pellets and veg so i would know there was a porblem of either wasnt pounced upon and munched straight away.
Thats my primary reason for splitting feeds into two morning and evening.

Yep, mine too. They are fed greens, brocoli and hay in the morning, and then a sprout and pellets (and more hay) in the evening.
It gives me a chance to interact with them twice a day, and to check that they are eating and all is ok.

Ah! Hadn't thought of that. The watching for the eating thing! Mine love pellets too and dive into the bowl (or my hand!) when they get their pellets. I suppose it would be a good indicator of a sick bunn.

I'll just suck it in then and feed twice a day. Am just being lazy. Winter is the toughest time I suppose. Have only had them since the end of August so am looking forward to enjoying the summer with them.

Love the postcard by the way!!!

Winter is definitely the hardest time, particularly when you're defrosting water bowls twice a day. We have a head torch, which makes things easier, and I have a kettle and spare water bottles in the garage, so I can sort everything out outside. After nearly 6 years of living here, I have everything organised just so!
I can't wait for lighter nights when I can give the buns a run round on the grass after tea.

Winter is definitely the hardest time, particularly when you're defrosting water bowls twice a day. We have a head torch, which makes things easier, and I have a kettle and spare water bottles in the garage, so I can sort everything out outside. After nearly 6 years of living here, I have everything organised just so!
I can't wait for lighter nights when I can give the buns a run round on the grass after tea.

A head torch! Genious!! I love my bunns and I'll do whatever's best for them. Do you ever let yours in the house when it's really cold outside? I do but I leave the kitchen door open!! Flippin freezin! Any heat there was flies out the door but they like to get in! I had thought of letting them sleep in the kitchen at night as they're litter trained and very well behaved bunnies and my kitchen is a cold room in the house but have been advised that if they're out they should stay out as they could get sick with changes in temp. Roll on the summer!

Mine never come in - I tried once year ago, and they found it too disruptive. They are very definitely outdoor bunnies - love binkying around and sitting in the rain :roll:. They will come for a headrub, and like to sit with me though.

Mine never come in - I tried once year ago, and they found it too disruptive. They are very definitely outdoor bunnies - love binkying around and sitting in the rain :roll:. They will come for a headrub, and like to sit with me though.

I shouldn't have started it! Mine now aren't satisfied running around outside and they don't like being restricted inside! They want BOTH if you please! They claw and bite at the gate between the kitchen and their yard until I open it and let them in and when they are in they give me dirty looks when I close the kitchen door! I've spoilt them is what I've done. Spoilt rascals the pair of em! As a result they now have toys and tunnels in the hall and kitchen as well as their yard. My house is turning into a giant rabbit play thing! Wee ruffins!

Im not an outdoor person but I feed mine pellets & hay in morning & veg & hay in evening.I think mine would feel hard done by if fed only once a day!!:lol:

Everybun here gets pellets, hay and water in the morning before i go to work and more hay, water and veges in the evening. Cat flaps into runs also get opened in the morning and they get shut in their sheds at around 9pm (later in the summer months). I also have one of those head torches, brilliant idea!

Im not an outdoor person but I feed mine pellets & hay in morning & veg & hay in evening.I think mine would feel hard done by if fed only once a day!!:lol:

Mine would end up with nothing to eat all night!! :lol::lol::lol: Greedy pigs! (But I free feed mix....so guess it's different.)

Mine get veg in the morning at about 7.45 and then pellets at 9pm in the evening.

An advantage of feeding twice a day is you can see if they are eating ok. This, to me, picks up dental issues or tum problems quicker.

Definitely twice a day for mine. Veg and hay in the morning before I go to work and then veg, hay and pellets in the evening. It gives me more time to be with them in the dark winter days and I can make sure they're eating twice a day (no stasis problems). But it's already getting lighter in the evenings and I can let them out for almost an hour now whilst I clean them out immediately after I get home from work.

I feed Bramble twice a day. For breakie he has Kale and pellets, which he makes last all day! I give him fresh water at breakfast time too. Then in the evening he has a bowl of veggies. He has access to hay all day too.

Oooooookay then. So that is a resounding twice a day. Well far be it from me to have all these lucky bunnies enjoying their twice daily feast and making my beloved Benson Charles and my wee darlin Lola Grace make do with 1 feeding per day!! I'll see your twice per day and maybe I'll just come home at lunchtime, wake them up and feed em 3 times a day!!!

They get a small amount of pellets at 6am, along with new hay and clean water.

1pm They get given some mint and dill.

9pm another tiny amount of pellets, more hay and a bowl full of veggies.

They get a small amount of pellets at 6am, along with new hay and clean water.

1pm They get given some mint and dill.

9pm another tiny amount of pellets, more hay and a bowl full of veggies.

Touche! I'm not feeding them 4 times a day!! As much as I love em!! Lucky rabbits you have!

Ours get their pellets, fresh hay and water/litter trays changed around 9am, then when i get home at 4pm i check them all and give them a handful of fresh hay again, then i give them their veg around 8/9pm and shut them up in their sheds/hutches for the night :) They would be so angry if i fed them once a day only! :shock: I couldnt imagine not going down the garden 3 times :oops: Its kind of a routine now :D xXx

Back