• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

abscess question

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
What do all you helpful people know about the chances of non-dental abscesses returning, once they've been drained/flushed? :?

Hello, don't really know an awful lot but Holly had a none dental abcess when we got her and after 3-4 months of treatment including an operation her's cleared up. She got the all clear in March last year and has been abcess free ever since :wave:

I think it depends a lot on where the abcess is, & whether the capsule can be removed completely. If there is very little tissue between skin and bone, bone infection is common & that can be difficult. An abscess on the hocks can be difficult. Whereas an abcess on the body is much easier to clear.
I notice improved results with dental abcess with prolonged courses of injected AB's

There's loadsof loose tissue on the body.
As you know there are various operations, & the problem is that bunny pus is thick like cream cheese, so it doesn't flow out to the surface, but stays stuck inside. The other problem is that the skin heals up incredibly quickly.

I'm not too sure what operation they have in mind.
It may be too big to get the capsule out. In that case I've heard good results from removing an oval of skin from above the abcess (called marsupialization = converting it to a pouch. This does very well too especiallywith flushing. It may be worth asking your vet about using manuka honey in the pouch after the flush - it's really good for bunny abscesses as long as it's changed every day;)

I'm hopefuul for you:)

Yes, our vets have had some excellent results using manuka honey exactly as Thumps describes above, along with antibiotics and pain relief of course xx

Bella had an abcess the size of a tennis ball just behind her front left leg when we got her, the capsule split as it was removed but they got it all out. Two week course of baytril.
Went in for her spey and found about twenty more small abcesses under the skin. Took all those out, another course of baytril.
Few months later another abcess in the same place as the first, about the size of a brussel sprout. Removed the whole capsule completely this time. Three month course of depocillin injections every other day. So far, so good :)

All this happened between July 08 and January 09, so she's officially been abcess free for a year now. I'm hoping that's the end of it now.

Back