• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding Ruby and Ralph again

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Well I've put them back together after Ralph tore her ear yesterday. They are in the indoor hutch that I put Ruby in to separate them, but I want to put them back in their old one tonight (that Ralph was in, alone, last night.) He's been vigorously grooming her stitched ear and keeps trying to nip her underside. He's always sticking his nose underneath her, I'm not really sure what he's trying to do.

Anyway, do you think I should keep them in Ruby's "domain" for now, rather than put them back for the night in the cage Ralph was in last night? He's just acting rather weirdly - passionate - both angry and affectionate. I don't know what's going on - spring fever? What does that mean? Horniness?

Good luck with the bonding. I wouldn't move them for a couple of days and would keep a close eye on them. When they do move you need to make it neutral and change things around. You can use white vinegar to clean the hutch.

i have no experience of bonding but i do know Alvin tore the ear of his first potential wifebun and Lou did not attempt bonding again... some bunnies just dont click and i dont think its fair on them to try and force the issue.

on the upside you could end up with 2 bonded pairs with bunnies they pick :love::love::love::love:

Are they both neutered?
I'd wait atleast 2weeks until you attempt to rebond them.
Ralph needs time to heal and they both need to forget about the incident.

Im not sure whats wrong with them - its so strange when you have a loved up couple that just fall out :cry: Sooty and oreo have def been more randy and chasing so it may be 'spring fever'..

Would a car ride help or something like that or a totally neutral room? i think you will have to go back to basics so wherever you bond them keep them there for a good week, decrease space etc etc..

good luck xx

i have no experience of bonding but i do know Alvin tore the ear of his first potential wifebun and Lou did not attempt bonding again... some bunnies just dont click and i dont think its fair on them to try and force the issue.

on the upside you could end up with 2 bonded pairs with bunnies they pick :love::love::love::love:

I agree with this what about trying Ruby with Buzz when she's feeling better.

Thanks for all your replies. It's so nice that you care.

They've been in the indoor cage together all evening now and are grooming each other and lying together... I'm going to keep them like this and move them into our bedroom so if there are any scuffles we'll know. I'm pretty sure that the reason Ralph attacked her yesterday was because I had left one of Buzz's toys out. Terrible of me, I know, and I should have been more vigilant. The fact that I'm pretty sure it was because of this makes me think that it's not a character clash and as long as I keep Buzz's smells away, they should be fine... :?

If it does fail, I will bond her with Buzz...

Good luck with the bonding. I wouldn't move them for a couple of days and would keep a close eye on them. When they do move you need to make it neutral and change things around. You can use white vinegar to clean the hutch.

Excellent advice, I would re-introduce them very carefullyas weel.

Back