• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on new hutch set up please

sophiew

Young Bun
Quick re-cap - got a rabbit last Sunday, having never had one before. I run a guinea rescue, so lots of those, and lots of hutches! The rabbit has been in the shed in a whole level of my hutch block this week until I could get something more permanent sorted, and today I've ressurected one of my large hutches for her, and adapted a run - it used to have open ends and a hutch on each end for the guineas, but I didn't think this would be secure enough for a rabbit so I wired it over. I've got a hidey for the run too.

Is this ok for her? The hutch is about 8' long and over 2' wide, the run is about 6' x 3' I think.

Feedback appreciated, as I'm new to all of this!

Empty hutch:
IMG_0103.jpg

Wooden hidey one end:
IMG_0104.jpg

Other end:
IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Hidey with hayrack attached:
IMG_0110.jpg

All:
IMG_0111.jpg

Inspecting her new abode:
IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Not quite what I had in mind!

IMG_0124-1.jpg

Closed up:
IMG_0125-1.jpg

Run:
IMG_0126-1.jpg

I hadn't thought about her jumping on top of the hidey hut, is there a danger she could hurt herself in the hayrack if she jumped from above?

Also I read somewhere to not let them have plastic things, is that true?

Thanks!

Sophie

PS Now I know she is a girl she's been renamed from Barry to Bridget Jones!

That set up looks great to me :D I suppose there is a 'slight' risk of injury if she jumps from the top of the hidy and catches a leg in the hay rack - perhaps it would be safer to attach it to the wire on the doors of the hutch?

The danger with plastic tunnels etc is that bunnies do like to chew. Plastic tends to either splinter or leave sharp bits sticking out. I'd say just keep an eye on it. None of mine chew plastic (other than a slight nibble just to make sure it's not food :lol: ) so they've got footstools to sit on/under etc and plastic tunnels too. If she turns out to be a chewer, I'd perhaps replace the plastic with wood or willow or cardboard.

But overall, it looks fab. Is there any way you can attach the run permanently to the hutch so that she can have lots of exercise throughout the day?

Thank you.

I was going to put the hayrack on the wire but I thought it might get damp... but it would be safer wouldn't it. Or I'll get a man to nail it up on the hutch wall for me! (have bruised thumbs from hammering today!).

The tunnel is terracotta but the stool and bowl are plastic, I'll keep a close eye on her! Hope she's not a chewer.

I was trying to fathom how to attach the run to the hutch permanently but I can't do it by myself (not THAT handy with DIY!) so at the moment they are separate, but I'm moving soon and when I do I will either get her her own shed and run combo or get someone to convert these for me ;) and hopefully find her a friend!

Thanks for your comments, really helpful - all new to this!

Sophie
x

I was going to put the hayrack on the wire but I thought it might get damp... but it would be safer wouldn't it. Or I'll get a man to nail it up on the hutch wall for me! (have bruised thumbs from hammering today!).

Just screw a couple of 'eyes' (from a hook and eye) into the back wall of the hutch and you can hook the hay rack into the eyes. That's all I do in my sheds.

Just screw a couple of 'eyes' (from a hook and eye) into the back wall of the hutch and you can hook the hay rack into the eyes. That's all I do in my sheds.

Thank you! Even I could probably manage that.... off to find some now!

Sophie
x

She looks a sweetie!

The hutch is a good size,and would be fab if you could give her a permanantly attached run in the future.

My only critisism would be the shavings - they're just not good for any small animals as they give off phenols that have been shown to cause liver problems. There are lots of alternatives out there like Eazibed, Dixon's Dustless, Megazorb etc that don't have these chemicals in them.

Couldn't see from the photos whether you'd got any covers, but good insulation around the hutch, and full covers for night time are a must if she's outdoors.

Was you thinking about getting her a husbun, or is that something in the future?

She looks a sweetie!

The hutch is a good size,and would be fab if you could give her a permanantly attached run in the future.

My only critisism would be the shavings - they're just not good for any small animals as they give off phenols that have been shown to cause liver problems. There are lots of alternatives out there like Eazibed, Dixon's Dustless, Megazorb etc that don't have these chemicals in them.

Couldn't see from the photos whether you'd got any covers, but good insulation around the hutch, and full covers for night time are a must if she's outdoors.

Was you thinking about getting her a husbun, or is that something in the future?

Thanks. I do usually have Megazorb but my supplier has run out and so I had to get something... she's got straw in there too but I didn't put it all over, should I?

There is a cover that goes over the hutch at night and an overhang (wooden) to keep the weather off :)

Yes, I'm wanting to get her a husband but as I thought she was a boy until yesterday, it's all a bit up in the air! She is not spayed yet, but hopefully once she is I'll be able to find her a husband ;)

Thanks for your comments!

Sophie
x

Looks great :thumb:

I don't know if you're aware that most rabbits can be litter trained? Try putting newspaper or mats down in the hutch (not rubber backed ones though, in case she chews them) and a litter tray with a suitable litter (NOT clay/clumping cat litter) and a layer of hay on top...makes it much cheaper and easier to clean out like this.

Looks great :thumb:

I don't know if you're aware that most rabbits can be litter trained? Try putting newspaper or mats down in the hutch (not rubber backed ones though, in case she chews them) and a litter tray with a suitable litter (NOT clay/clumping cat litter) and a layer of hay on top...makes it much cheaper and easier to clean out like this.

Thank you - I'd heard about house rabbits being litter trained but hadn't thought about hutch ones, yes that would be good - I've got a litter tray, I'll try it!

Guineas have fleece / vetbed, is that ok for bunnies?

Sophie
x

Thank you - I'd heard about house rabbits being litter trained but hadn't thought about hutch ones, yes that would be good - I've got a litter tray, I'll try it!

Guineas have fleece / vetbed, is that ok for bunnies?

Sophie
x

Yes, fleece or vet bed should be fine...but keep an eye out for chewing.

I tend to use cheap, small rugs from Ikea which cost about £1.50 - £2 each

Back