• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a good price- anyone know anything about wood?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I have been quoted £350 from someone on ebay for an 8ft by 4ft shed with a 10ft by 4ft attached avairy. I think its really cheap but dont know about the quality of it?

This is what the guy said;

"hiya i have worked out the price for you and it would be 350.00 for both of these and it would be made from shiplap, plyboards as you have showed us on the diagram with a felted roof on the shed , the runs framing would be made from 2x2 and if you wanted this treated it would be at no extra cost"

What sort of wood is best?

Last edited:
they probably just need the work hun so are being as cheap as they can afford to be. i doubt theres anything wrong, wood is wood :D

Have you asked for weld mesh on the run? Thats the main thing ;) Its a very very good price though! Id snap it up if it were me! :D

Anyone else know anything about wood? I have no idea what shiplap or 2x2 means so not sure about the quality of this.

Anyone else know anything about wood? I have no idea what shiplap or 2x2 means so not sure about the quality of this.

2x2 just means it's 2" x 2" - the size of the framework, it doesn't specify what type of wood, it can vary a lot but I wouldn't know how to advise.

Shiplap *I think* is pieces that overlap, (cheaper) whereas tongue and groove is specially shaped pieces that slot together, considered better quality, although also the quality of the wood itself comes into play.

Probably the best bet is to put shiplap etc into a shed search on ebay or somewhere such and study the pictures. There's another '[something or other] lap' that might be the poorer quality one. *goes off to check*

Shiplap is the better quality one- overlap is when the bits of wood overlap each other

ETA: That sounds like brilliant value

ETA2: My shed is shiplap, it's very good quality

ETA3: Here's some pics of my shed so you can see the type of wood it's made of:

Outside:

IMGP1654.jpg

And inside:

003.jpg

Close up of inside:

DSCF4179.jpg

Last edited:
:D I've just found a shed described as T&G shiplap so yes, the good quality one :D

It's an absolute bargain then in that case.

Might just look into getting one of them myself in a few months - wish he was more local to me!

Last edited:
a fantastic price!

Definately get him to treat the wood for you, it should be presure treated anyways, as it is out door wood, but I would confirm this with him otherwise it is not going to last you very long, with all the staining and exterior treating in the world, nothing beats pressure treatment.

Shiplap is the one to go for, plywood will be for the floor of the shed (anything else you have requested) and the roof, before it is covered in roofing felt.

I would definately ask for shelves etc to be put in there, and anything else that you are thinking about. With a new house you will have more than enough to do ;)

ETA I wonder if he will deliver to manchester?

Last edited:
Thanks. I am going to wait until we have moved before I order it as I want to measure up properly to see where its going to fit.

I think it will need to go on the patio right next to the house so I think im going to need it to be a bit smaller than 6ft tall otherwise it is going to block the kitchen window. The oil tank is at the bottom of the garden with a shed thats already there but the OH has claimed that for the lawnmower and tools since it doesnt have a garage.

Back