• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red urine...

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Hi all, Bailey has been given Panacur for the first time for the past 3 days, ive noticed today shes had alot of red/orange wee, it smells like her normal wee and seems to be the same but just bright red, this hasnt happend before so im guessing it must be somthing to do with the panacur, has anyone else experianced this? ive heard bloody wee can be a sign of uterine cancer, baileys only just 7 months old and hasnt been spayed yet (am waiting till i have time off at easter). Am quite worried so would really appreciate any feedback
Thanks x

I don't know anything about panacur but I do know it can be normal for a rabbit to have red/orange colored urine from time to time depending on the veggies that they have eaten. I am sure someone who know about rabbits taking panacur will be along shortly.

My male bun also can have dark orangish wee. Sometimes it's light yellow, and others it's shocking orange! My female doesn't ever seem to have any darkening in her urine and both buns have the exact same diet. I have heard that it's just a hormonal thing, even in neutered males.
(Also, my little boy is just over 1 year old and has never had any health problems or jabs and sees the bun vet regularly, so I know the discoloration isn't a result of any kind of treatment.)
Of course, it never hurts to call the vet and express your concerns just to be safe.

Ok, thanks for the reassurence, ive checked up a bit and apprentley it can happen when bunns are on medication, nothing in baileys diet is different ether. just always get a bit worred as i know what it can mean if its blood :(. hopefully someone else will come along whos had a similar experiance with panacur.
x

Back