• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spongey tummy u/d all better now! :D

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya :wave:

Beau doesn't seem right. He was fine this morning, absolutely normal, ate all his breakfast. Have come home and he kept trying to hide from us, wasn't keen on being stroked. Then he flopped out, but still didn't seem right, let me stroke him. He just let me pick him up, and only struggled a bit. His tummy feels quite spongey, do you think it might be wind? Shall I gave him Infacol? And if so, how much?

Last edited:
Anyone?!

I've now given him some infacol (1ml) and about 1ml of water (he wouldn't take any more). He's flopped with his legs out behind him, but he still doesn't seem right :?

Is he eating,pooing,drinking and weeing ?
Is he breathing faster than normal ?
Do his ears feel very cold or very hot ?

Hmm dont know what advice to give really... Just keep an eye on him tonight and try to keep him hydrated etc. Dont wasnt him overheating.
Im sure others will give better advice. Hope he is ok.

Is he eating,pooing,drinking and weeing ?
Is he breathing faster than normal ?
Do his ears feel very cold or very hot ?

We've just given him a fresh litter tray so we can monitor output. We never see him drink. He hasn't eaten his dinner which was given about an hour ago.

His breathing seems quick, but then it always does, and I honestly couldn't tell you if it's faster than normal.

His ears feel a little cold.

Am so glad you've come along Jane, I looked for you but you didn't seem to be online.

Do we think vets? I'm happy to take him if necessary, just don't want to be paranoid or stress him out.

He's flopped again now, but he does seem to be pressing his tummy on the floor.

We've just given him a fresh litter tray so we can monitor output. We never see him drink. He hasn't eaten his dinner which was given about an hour ago.

His breathing seems quick, but then it always does, and I honestly couldn't tell you if it's faster than normal.

His ears feel a little cold.

Am so glad you've come along Jane, I looked for you but you didn't seem to be online.

Do we think vets? I'm happy to take him if necessary, just don't want to be paranoid or stress him out.

He's flopped again now, but he does seem to be pressing his tummy on the floor.

It sounds as though he has tummy pain and I would give the Vet a call if I were you. Catching a problem sooner rather than later is always the best option. Buns with tummy pain often breathe fast and they are not able to maintain their body temperature.

Sending vibes xx

He also keeps occasionally making a noise like nails on a blackboard with his teeth *shivers*

He's just done a full on belly in the air type flop though! :love:

It sounds as though he has tummy pain and I would give the Vet a call if I were you. Catching a problem sooner rather than later is always the best option. Buns with tummy pain often breathe fast and they are not able to maintain their body temperature.

Sending vibes xx

Will give them a ring. Will I be able to just chat to a vet though? I've never done it before.

What would likely treatment be?

He also keeps occasionally making a noise like nails on a blackboard with his teeth *shivers*

He's just done a full on belly in the air type flop though! :love:

Tooth grinding is a sign of severe pain :cry:

TBH I'd try to stop him flopping about too much. I'd pop him into a pet carrier with a heatpad and call the Vet.

Tooth grinding is a sign of severe pain :cry:

TBH I'd try to stop him flopping about too much. I'd pop him into a pet carrier with a heatpad and call the Vet.

We don't have a heatpad. Have rung the emergency vet and they're gonna ring me back...

I feel sick. I have never had such a high-maintenance pet before. I just wanted a nice relaxing Friday night :roll:

oh no.. that sight of tummy pushing into the floor sends cold shivers down my spine.. sending loads of vibes for Beau xxx

The vet said to give him some Zantac and has booked him in for 8:40am, said to ring back if he gets worse. Fat lot of good. :roll:

I've never seen him do the tummy pressing thing before, thats why I at first thought it was a regular flop, but I've never seen him do it so much, he does seem to want his tummy on the floor.

do you have metacam hun? it usually sorts alvins tummy out within a few hours.. its like magic juice, if not maybe the vet will let you pick some up tonight without upsetting Beau until the morning?

running about (against his will) gets the gas shifting for alvin as well..

i hate stasis/gas with a passion :evil::evil::evil:

do you have metacam hun? it usually sorts alvins tummy out within a few hours.. its like magic juice, if not maybe the vet will let you pick some up tonight without upsetting Beau until the morning?

running about (against his will) gets the gas shifting for alvin as well..

i hate stasis/gas with a passion :evil::evil::evil:

We've got baytril zantac and infacol but no damn metacam. There's no1 at the vets surgery, so I suspect I would get charged the callout fee to get her to meet us there :? I nearly asked when we were on the phone before *kicks herself for not at least asking*

Seriously, what is it with buns?! And it always seemd to be the best loved ones who are the most fragile :roll:

I think I'd be insisting that the Vet sees him :?
He definately needs some pain relief aswell as Zantac.

That's what concerned me, the vet asked what I had, and I said Zantac and Baytril, and she asked if I had metacam, and I said no, and she said not to worry. And I remembered your mantra of a bun in pain *needs* pain relief and it just didn't seem right. I don't trust my vet at all!

i will keep everything crossed the infacol and zantac works then..really hope you dont have to do an emergency vets dash tonight :(...

i swear bunnies just know when the vets are closed :evil: i had to be met at the vets once, i felt terrible but he was on call and i couldnt let Alvin get to the state he did when he had to be admitted :(

come on Beau hunny get that tummy moving xxxxx

You could try the Royal Vet College's Queen Mother Hospital - they run all the emergency and out of hours stuff around this area. They'll talk to you on the phone for sure and may let you have some metacam. bit of a drive for you but better than nothing?

I had this not that long ago with Gizmo and was up all night with him but, he did get through it but, it was hard work. The only thing I think is important that he is not obstructed, I am surprised they didn't advise you over the phone how to check for that before adminstering anything. I was lucky in that it was gas, I don't even think it was bloat having looked at a bloated thread recently he wasn't distended thankfully.

Back