• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please - what to use as a dig box.

Nancy Drew

Young Bun
As I don't know what to use, I have two rabbits, and recently I've changed the indoor space for them, to give them more room (its now just over 8ftX4ft) but some of the area involves carpet, and Drew has dug a hole in it before I knew anything, so now I've got a very fetching old bed sheet on the floor, to protect it before I get anything else, but I'm wanting to put a dig box in there too, I was looking for a indoor GP cage or something, but until I can find one or buy one what can I use, I have a old plastic storage box that I was going to put some chinchilla sand in for now, would this do, and also what else could I put in a dig box at different times to keep them more entertained?

Any help would be much appreitated.

This evening I found a GP indoor cage online for sale locally, and I'm going to look at it tomorrow, does anyone think that this would be suitable for a dig box?

:wave: If I were you I would get a piece of lino cut to size and tape it down over the carpet personally, I got a piece - good stuff aswell 6x4 for about £18.00 also for the dig box I would just go out and get some mud in a large litter tray, put it on a wide area of newspaper and just shake it back in when it flies out :lol: hide some bark nibbles, bits of apple branch etc in it (PAH do bags of it) you could also put a bit of hay through it aswell so they can pick it out. Hopefully you might get some better suggestions than mine but, that's what I would do.:D

Thank you, I'll look into all the different treats, I was thinking earlier about putting some grass in in, but I doubt that would work lol, I only thought of that as I recently brought one of them grow your own grass things for rabbits lol.

I'll have a look for some lino too, as anything has to be better then a bed sheet :)

Thank you, I'll look into all the different treats, I was thinking earlier about putting some grass in in, but I doubt that would work lol, I only thought of that as I recently brought one of them grow your own grass things for rabbits lol.

I'll have a look for some lino too, as anything has to be better then a bed sheet :)

Yes it will protect your carpet aswell (waterproof) Dandelion is another good one dried in bags, hayexperts or PAH sometimes you get bits of root which you could pick out for the box, they will think they have dug it up:lol:

Yes it will protect your carpet aswell (waterproof) Dandelion is another good one dried in bags, hayexperts or PAH sometimes you get bits of root which you could pick out for the box, they will think they have dug it up:lol:

Ooh you mean things like this,

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/woodlands-dandelion-roots-treats-300gm-15744

I found some of these a while ago, and am now a fan of the range, I saw one item with sugar in, but that got left on the shelf, I also have the twiggy treats which I could hide too, I think that I'm getting more excited about this then the rabbit lol.

I've also put a advert on free cycle for some lino, I thought I'd try to be cheap before going to the shops :D

Ooh you mean things like this,

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/woodlands-dandelion-roots-treats-300gm-15744

I found some of these a while ago, and am now a fan of the range, I saw one item with sugar in, but that got left on the shelf, I also have the twiggy treats which I could hide too, I think that I'm getting more excited about this then the rabbit lol.

I've also put a advert on free cycle for some lino, I thought I'd try to be cheap before going to the shops :D

Yes good idea and why not save where you can I say, you might get an end of line remnant cheap aswell if they only have an offcut left over either that or put your name down for a piece that is unlikely to be of any use to anyone although saying that your size would probably be an average en-suite, never know though worth a try. Piccies when mission accomplished :lol:

Yes good idea and why not save where you can I say, you might get an end of line remnant cheap aswell if they only have an offcut left over either that or put your name down for a piece that is unlikely to be of any use to anyone although saying that your size would probably be an average en-suite, never know though worth a try. Piccies when mission accomplished :lol:

Will do, it'll probally look like a mix and match, because it is/will be :lol: but I'm sure that the buns will love it.

My dig box cost a wopping £5! :lol: It's only quite small, but you can get bigger versions. Here's a vid of it in use:

Sorry to hijjack the thread, but what exactly do you put in dig boxes, do you put soil or something else?

Sorry to hijjack the thread, but what exactly do you put in dig boxes, do you put soil or something else?

I us bagged soil from homebase, bagges potting compost from homebase, or childrens playpit sand from Tescos (the Homebase stuff is always sopping wet for some reason!). Sand is their favourite but I like to ring the changes.

Back