• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby's ear ripped and bleeding :(

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've just gone into to Ralph and Ruby's room to find fur all over the floor and Ruby's ear ripped and lots of blood coming out of it.

I think he's attacked her :(

I don't know what caused it.

Vets?

If it's ripped and bleeding, then yes. It might need stitches. I hope she's ok. x

As for the cause, it's hard to say without seeing what happened beforehand. Spring fever has started though (lots of bunny-humping in our house :roll:) and sometimes it sparks off some disagreements if the bunny being humped gets fed up.

Bunnies can also sense if one isn't well, so it might be worth getting Ruby a general check up while you're at the vets too.

Definately need the vets if it is torn right through. If the wound is fresh they should be able to stitch it no problems :)

How are they with each other now?

It's torn sideways across the ear, so almost taken the top of the ear off... looks like a bite to me. it's bleeding but the blood has clotted. She's not eating, and she never refuses apple. I've separated them, have a vets appointment at 9.50.

Oh dear :( How long have they been bonded?

I have been woken up last couple of night by my buns chasing :roll: Spring is in the air!

ouch :cry: good luck at vets, i hated spring fever when it got to rosie, se hasn't bothered this year being poorly

Well, now we have stitches, metacam and anti-biotics. The vet was just great, I'm so impressed with her, she checked Ruby all over to see if there was anything else and rememered her from her spay a few weeks ago.

Ralph knows that he has done bad and is sulking upstairs.

It must have been my fault though, I must've left a toy that Buzz had been playing with in the garden, downstairs and it was just referred aggression :( feel really bad.

Should I try and rebond them immediately, or keep them apart for a while?

I'm glad Ruby is ok :D

I don't know about re-bonding ... hopefully someone with experience will come along and help.

My two have been squabbling recently - definitely spring fever related as Jester keeps trying to hump Daisy :roll: - and it's upsetting to watch them fall out when you're used to snuggly, happy bunnies.

Hope it all works out and they can be back together again soon.

I, personally would try to bond them again. My reasons are that if she's not eating it could also be because she's pining for him and the longer they are apart the harder it's going to be. As long as you're sure it's referred aggression. And I would watch them very closely for a few days, checking once every hour.

That's not from experience though, just my gut instinct.

I, personally would try to bond them again. My reasons are that if she's not eating it could also be because she's pining for him and the longer they are apart the harder it's going to be. As long as you're sure it's referred aggression. And I would watch them very closely for a few days, checking once every hour.

That's not from experience though, just my gut instinct.

Thanks for replying. My instinct is to rebond too because I know when they are completely alone with no distractions or mixed up toys, they are very in love. The only problem is that I have to go away tonight for
work, so my OH is feeding tonight. I'm going to keep them separate and try to rebond tomorrow because I don't think he'dd watch them long enough to
check that they were getting on!

Over the last couple of weeks we have had a bit of scrappage between Emily and Muffin and the 2 babes who all of a sudden started to pick on one of them. We separated them out for an hour or so but on the basis of not having enough space to keep them that way, we had to risk putting them back together.

They just went back as normal with no more hassle. Obviously something to keep an eye on but I think the sooner you put them back together the better, especially if she is not eating, over night might be too long,

Hope all goes well, sorry to hear about the trip to the vets

awww poor Ruby, it may not have been Ralphs fault :? - you never know - could she have caught it on something?
Probably best to re-bond tomorrow - Im no way an expert but let her have a quiet night - see if your OH can get her eating and retry tomorrow - otherwise you would only worry while you are away too!!

Healing ear vibes for Ruby xxx

How is Ruby is she eating now? Have you got some recovery food you could tempt her with or dandelions. I don't think I would rebond personally but that's just my opinion I'd be worrying constantly. Are you sure she didn't catch it on something :?

Back