• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Age of P@H bunnies?

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
I'm trying to work out how old a bunny is that I adopted yesterday to work out when she should be spayed... this thread is purely for that & not to discuss/debate on the ages of rabbits sold in petshops please :)

Ok that bit over.. yesterday I brought home a rabbit that her previous owner told me is 4 months old.
She bought her from P@H on 14 November & said when she visited on 13 Nov (the day this new store opened) they only had bucks.. but when she went back the next day they had does in stock so she bought one.

Now I assume from this that the rabbit I've adopted was very young (maybe 6/8 weeks?) depnding on what age they're usually sold from?
So if I assume she was 8 weeks old this would make her birthday around 19 September.. meaning she's 4 1/2 months old?

Just wondered if anyone could confirm this?

She seems big for her age but I think she's a dwarf lop - in actual body size she's nearly as long as Phillip, but not anywhere near as heavy (he weighs 2kg), I think she is too thin though.
She doesn't appear to have any 'hormonal' issues yet.. but as she's so shy & nervy it's hard to tell.

Pets at home normally tell you the rabbits are 8/10 weeks when you buy them. However in my local store the majority look too big to be that young. One of my buns Bracken is a baby dwarf lop (not from p@h) she was born in July and is still very small. When I bough Willow (another dwarf lop) from p@h several years ago she was practically twice the size of Bracken!

So she's probably about 5 months, maybe even 6, she should be old enough.

I'll talk to my vet when she goes in for her vaccs & see if he thinks she's ready to be spayed; she might need to put on a bit more weight 1st :)

see if it as me, just saying, if i got a doe i would keep for at least 3 months before spaying, i know p@h are suppose to take them from 8 weeks, i feel you can never be too sure, though i suppose obvious hormal traits would show too

just see what the vet says :)

bucks easier watch for the plumbs :lol:

So she's probably about 5 months, maybe even 6, she should be old enough.

I'll talk to my vet when she goes in for her vaccs & see if he thinks she's ready to be spayed; she might need to put on a bit more weight 1st :)

She looks about 6 months + to be mel:) From the pics you posted. Your vet will be able to tell you like you said. x

Back