• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam

jassie

Warren Scout
Ling Jai is on metacam, the packet reads for dogs, I have noticed there is also one available for cats, is it the same thing and is there one available for rabbits or is this the only one. I got the last bottle from the vet, a 10ml bottle for about £7, I see there is a 32ml bottle available on line, wheres the best place to get it, thanks:wave:

The cat metacam is the same chemical, it is just a weaker strength. The dog is 1.5 mg/kg whereas the cat is 0.5 mg/kg. There is no small animal metacam as far as I am aware, although you do get it for horses. I have no idea the best place to buy it from, I just get it from the vet, but the bigger bottles do work out cheaper than the smaller ones assuming you will use the whole bottle.
Hope this helps.

thanks, the 10ml has been good for about 2 months use with a bit still left, I will go for the bigger bottle which will be good for about 6 months or so, it does say the shelf life for an open bottle is 6 months so that'll be big enough:wave:

Metacam is not Licenced for use in Rabbits so that is why there is not a specific one for them.
Not many Veterinary Drugs have gone through the licencing process to make them 'Rabbit Specific' but that doesn't mean they are not safe for a Vet to prescribe.

Metacam is a prescription only medication. So if you choose to buy it elsewhere you still have to get your Vet to write a prescription for you. Vet has to state that he/she has examined the animal for whom the prescription is being given.

32ml of metacam from the vet is £24 and online you can get it for under a tenner, that's quite a difference:shock:

we get horse size bottle which is about £80/90 from vet but i saw it on internet but feel embarrassed asking vet if its ok to buy from here as cheaper.
We use it everyday for winnie and its the dog one hes fine loves it.
Your not supposed to use long term forever as it does have side effcts as with all medicines but winnie has very bad feet so hes on it for life.

Ling Jai has to pretty much have it for life because of his aging bones, what side effects are evident with metacam. If we want to buy it online we have provide a prescription, will the vet provide this or will they charge for it?:D

Back