• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watery eye

Do they feel sticky? Is it both eyes? Is it making the fur round the eye constantly wet? xXx

It sounds to me like he could have dental problems, as that often causes watery eyes - my rabbit has the same problem. Have you had him looked at by the vet? I think that's probably the next step.

I wouldn't panick as such, my little male had a watery eye for a couple of days and he was run down after neutering and over tired. I kept him warm and increased his food and gave him warm boiled water to drink in a bowl, I used cotton wool pads one clean pad each wipe, plain cooled boiled water and cleaned it morning and night approx 4 very gentle wipes. He was fine after 72 hours completely back to normal -it gradually got better but, won't clear overnight, it could be a little abrasion on the eye from hay, if its clear water and not infected, sticky/yellow its up to you how you proceed just thought I would share that with you, if you are really worried, get him checked by the vet. :wave:

it will be dental problems most likely, Ling Jai used to have watery eyes for years and each time I took him to the vet they never found anything wrong. They did not check his mouth all this time, when the new vet did they realised he only had teeth on one side of his mouth:roll: All this time he had suffered, but never actually seemed to be in pain:shock: Over time with dentals etc the watery eyes have subsided but he has lost fur next to his eyes and looks quite scruffy:shock:

It may not be dental problems, dont worry just yet. One of my foster buns has the same symptoms, we started off on eye drops last week, they didnt work so we are not on the 2nd week of antibiotic eye drops.

It could be infected tear ducts aswell. Or of course, it could be tooth related.

I hope your bunny will be ok. Please let us know how you get on xXx

He had blocked tear duckts. gave us some eye drops and this morning when we did hs eyes they are not wet anymore so they are doing a fab job. :D

Back