• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oral baytril for life?

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any experience/opinions with this please?

My Brian boy has had so many different types of medication for his snuffles, injections and orally, tablets and liquid suspension etc etc.

He has been on penicillin injections which has helped, but nothing seems to have touched it as well as the oral baytril.

As soon as I stop any meds it comes back within a few days, its just sneezing and discharge.

He has had x-rays, the vets have looked in his nose and found no signs of anything wrong.

We are now considering the possiblity of him being on the baytril for the rest of his life. Cost wise I'm not bothered, I'll do anything for him, but I am worried about any long term effects of having antibiotics full time.

Would I need to use a pro-biotic? He sometimes gets the Pro-c probiotic from pets at home but its about £5 a tub and have heard that it doesnt really do much good.

Any replies appreciated
Laura x

My Daisy has been on it for 18 months. I haven't given her a probiotic whilst she has been on it.

Pierre will be on a combination of baytrl and ronaxan for the rest of his life to control the infections caused by his molar roots.
whilst originaly the medication was given daily for 6 weeks he is now on a 'pulse dose' where the medication is given for 4 days followed by 3 days without.
the vet said this would reduce the liklelyhood of the bacteria developing a resistance to the medication as opposed to giving a low dose daily.

Last edited:
Pierre will be on a combination of baytrl and ronaxan for the rest of his life to control the infections caused by his molar roots.
whilst originaly the medication was given daily for 6 weeks he is now on a 'pulse dose' where the medication is given for 4 days followed by 3 days without.

Thank you, its good to hear that it is a fairly common thing :)

Back