• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant Bunny Taken By Fox

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just taken a call from one of my boarding clients looking for a new friend for one of her bunnies. The reason, bunnies were (as they always were :cry:) free ranging unsupervised in their lovely overgrown garden in the evening and the fox got her. Such an unneccesary waste of a gorgeous bunny. I can see how much they loved exploring but for me the savage loss of life is not worth the risk. Please don't free range your bunnies without being with them - it's so sad.

Binky free Coco. Pictured here with Pip who is now mourning.....

img_2403.jpg

Poor bunny so very very sad. :(

I too have just had a warning to be ever watchful that a fox could be somewhere nearby be on the prowl.

I was in our garage emptying our housebunnies litter trays into the bin, and came indoors to grab the bag of straw I'd just bought, & stick the kettle on to rinse the trays out with some boiling water. As I came back out the backdoor door, a fox shot out of the garage and over my neighbours wall. All that was in a matter of moments and at the most 20-30 paces away, and also with 3 builders working on the house overlooking on the other side.

I'm so thankful my bunnies where inside and I'd shut the backdoor behind me, I can''t bear to think what could have happened if I hadn't. :cry:

I could never keep my bunnies outside. The risk is too great, they live longer, and I would feel so horrible/responsible if anything happened to my bunnies. I think they are a lot happier living inside and maybe some occasional outdoor if you are comfortable with it.

If you are going to allow your rabbits to stay outside make sure it's under the safest conditions.

My bunnies only freerange when someone is home and during the daylight.
as soon as starts to darken we make sure they are safely in their hutch in the garage.

Such a sad loss :(
such a shame.

Binky free gorgeous bun xx

Back