• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Old small hutch -what to do with it?!

I have a hutch that is 3ft by 1ft with a built in run at the bottom. It is in good condition but could probably use a new floor in the summer. Because of it's size i was thinking of just taking it to the tip? Or do you think it might be of use to a rescue for emergencies? I'm loath to give it to anyone else because it's just to small IMO. Any ideas? x:roll:

Sounds crazy, but if you take it to the tip then smash it up first. Otherwise they often salvage things and then re-sell them.
Might be useable as a run shelter though if you can take it apart.

Can you do some renovation or something? I'd ask rescues first as they might be able to expand or adapt it to make it useable.

I am donated hutches all the time, to the point where I take them just to 'get them out of the system'. Out of the possibly 8 hutches I've taken over the last 4-6 months, only one was actually suitable for rabbits, despite all having been used for them. Of the others, I have used several to make extensions to wendy houses, huts in sheds, and of the rest, my OH has dismantled them and salvaged doors, catches and hinges plus any good lengths of timber to be reused. The problem with offering them up or selling them to anyone other than folks you trust not to use for rabbit housing, is that people (round here at least) think that if they get a free hutch, they can get rabbits - cheap starter pack!

You could try contacting your local wildlife rescue as hutches are often put to use for other species like hedgehogs, ducks and in my case one of mine is going to a local place for a tortoise house in the summer! Good height not so important there!

I agree that if you end up needing to dump it, you should smash it up first if you can't use any of the timber, sadly folks at our tip would try and either sell or reuse it for their kids pets!

Helen

What about someone with a house rabbit? The rabbit could play in it....? I was looking for a little hutch to keep in my hall for when the rabbits come into the house to play (keep the door open for them of course - not to lock them in it). Thought it might look nice painted cream with little carrots stencilled on it!! Oh I've just heard myself - this is sooooo sad. But I'm gonna do it anyway!! Hee Hee - they'll love it!

where are you?

I agree it could be used in a run as a little hut, I was going to get a wooden box to go in my shed so it will be something cosy to snuggle in or on!.. (sorry not calling your hutch a little box but you know what I mean :oops:

I think it could be used as a 'play thing' - as long as what the others said it doesnt fall into the wrong hands!

There's a man near me (Belfast) who makes sheds and with the off cuts he makes the smallest hutches for rabbits and piggies I'v ever seen - could cry just looking at them. My dilema is that one would be lovely in my hall, painted cream with little stencilled carrots!! I just don't want to encourage him or support him in what he is making and encouraging people to put rabbits in!!

you could always go and see him....take him some of the RWA leaflets or just talk to him about it. There are RSPCA guidelines too.

Salt and Pepper have 2 3' hutches in their run, which they use to sit on! and as hidey-holes. They are great as long as not their permanent base.

As a rescue we always take the hutches with the animals that are brought in, just so they don't fill them with something else! But it does mean we end up with lots of small ones.

I've got a 3' hutch with a run underneath that I use for guineas in the day time so they can get some grass and have shelter - it's fine for that. They are housed in a bigger hutch the rest of the time. I also use 3' hutches for shelters in the run too, for the daytime.

Seems a shame to bin it if someone could use it - maybe a rescue near to you would be pleased of it for guineas or for spare parts?

Sophie
x

What about someone with a house rabbit? The rabbit could play in it....? I was looking for a little hutch to keep in my hall for when the rabbits come into the house to play (keep the door open for them of course - not to lock them in it). Thought it might look nice painted cream with little carrots stencilled on it!! Oh I've just heard myself - this is sooooo sad. But I'm gonna do it anyway!! Hee Hee - they'll love it!

I got a little one for mine - they love to sleep on top of it!

It is painted cream!!!

I have still got Bobbys old hutch which we were sold by The Range and is too small. She sleeps in it and on it, but its left open, she is free range now anyway, I only shut it when I am hoovering which is not very often:p....

We have a local Hedgehog rescue which uses and small hutches for the poorly hedgehogs.

I use them in the garden & in the bun rooms after removing the main door:D

I once walked in the bun room to find 13 buns piled on top of each other in a 3ft x 18in hutch:roll::lol: (It included a frenchie & an NZ white:shock::lol:)

i agre contact local rescues for rabbits or rescues for wildlife they wil luse as run shelters or for small animals such as hedgehogs. x

Back