• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why bother?!

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
<name removed> Ok i got a doe dwarf bunny for x-mas and after on jan 19 th i got one more bunny he is a Rex dwarf is name is Dale they both are 3 month old so in two more months im breeding them :)
25 January at 00:52 via Mobile Web · Comment · Like
J Alexis Hudson likes this.

<name removed> why do you want to breed them?
25 January at 00:55

<name removed> to let her have one litter that why
25 January at 00:57

<name removed> r they prebred and r they the same breed?
25 January at 01:02

<name removed> Are both bunnies Rex Dwarf??
25 January at 01:17

<name removed> no he a rex dwarf and she nethland dwarf
25 January at 02:00

<name removed> then y u want to breed them u should breed ones that r the same breed
25 January at 02:02

<name removed> why ?
25 January at 02:11

Teddy BunBun: The kits will most likely have terrible health problems from being cross bred. Nethies have round little faces and rex's have longer faces. The babies will have a mix of the two, and have awful teeth problems (mallocusion). This can cause abcesses, and teeth cutting into the gums/cheek. Do you want your bunnies to be in terrible pain, all their lives, and have thousands of pounds worth of dentals....just so you can have baby buns?! It's really not fair. Please don't breed them.
9 hours ago ·

<name removed> Even though I dont recommend breeding rabbits of diffrent breeds, Teddy BunBun is totally wrong
Teddy you do understand that the Netherland Dwarf was used to create the Mini Rex
Its totally horse **** (excuse my language) It wont cause any Health Issues Elvira! Goodluck! :)
8 hours ago

<name removed> yeah I dont believe what they will have bad health problems but I dont see y you want to breed them together
8 hours ago

<name removed> Yes, it just makes pets! Over population! I think Elvira needs to get two show or brood animals :D
8 hours ago

Teddy BunBun: I am aware....and can you imagine all the "cast offs" because of the teeth?!...all those buns that died because they weren't right?! There's a reason that you should only breed like with like....otherwise you get terrible health problems. I have absolutely NO problem with good, responsible breeding....I'm a bred bunneh! You need to know 5 generations back either side...this is with pure bred buns. There's no way of knowing what will happen with different breeds.

Have you read about some stupid breeders trying to create "plush" lops/velveteen lops? Because of the face differences they all got terrible mallocusion and had to stop the breeding....as too many buns were in pain all their lives.

There's a reason why people are so against "backyard breeders" and completely disregarding information handed to them on a plate is one of the things. There's a reason why there are over 33,000 bunnies in rescue. Many of them with teeth problems from bad breeding!

Please think about it Elvira. It's not something to be taken lightly!

Look...I know I'm not the most knowledgeable person ever, and I'm sure I miss things sometimes...but this is stupid isn't it?!...I give up. This is the same person who was breeding elderly piggies....:roll::roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
unless you know the parentage of the rabbits you are breeding you have no idea what genetic traits will be passed down..teeth problems included:cry:
not to mention that breeding when the doe is substancialy smaller than the buck will almost certainly make her birth a difficult and potentialy fatal one!

sigh.
:roll:

your more polite than i might have been;)

unless you know the parentage of the rabbits you are breeding you have no idea what genetic traits will be passed down..teeth problems included:cry:
not to mention that breeding when the doe is substancialy smaller than the buck will almost certainly make her birth a difficult and potentialy fatal one!

sigh.
:roll:

your more polite than i might have been;)

I'm probably stupid, but I'm really hoping she'll listen to me.:roll:

They are all muppets if you ask me! Why on earth are they encouraging her to breed rabbits?! :shock:
Plus, she seems a bit 'slow' too :? not as though she could be responsible for a litter :roll:

Well done for trying, but you won't win with some people.

They're too ignorant to look at the bigger picture.

Being involved in rottie rescue we've had alot of times where we've felt like banging our head against a wall. Heard them all from "it'll make her a better dog" line, "it's good for my children to see the wonder of birth", "cos I can sell em for £400 each" etc :censored:

When we take our girls out and peopls stop to chat they say "oh aren't they lovely, are they mother and daughter?" and I say "no, both rescues, totally different backgrounds", the next question is "are you going to breed them?" which always gets the reply "we most certainly aren't, they're neutered and we refuse to add to the thousands already needing homes" :(

Well done for trying. I am not sure that person should be on the internet, let alone breeding rabbits! It is terribly frustrating when people do not understand or want to understand the plight of animals in rescues.
I live in the countryside, surrounded by farmers which although lovely and although I am friends with some of them, there have been times when I have wanted to bang my head against the wall. For a start, they don't 'get' my rabbits - are they for food/ breeding/ shooting? do you have so many because they keep breeding like rabbits (usually followed by a guffaw of laughter). Neutering in a lot of circles is a foreign concept - not just for rabbits (they didn't know you 'could' neuter them, let alone WHY you would) but for dogs. The number of times they have litters 'to make a couple of thou' or I am asked if my purebred red and white (spayed, rescue collie) ***** would like to mate with other red and whites is shocking. It's a different world and it often makes me wonder if it's worth the fight. And then I look at my animals and realise that I have done a good thing. I would love to do more, but if each person on here has done something, and passes the word on... who knows?

Back