• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas re back leg weakness and losing weight

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
I was at the vets last night, and have had their opinion, but just wondered if anyone else had any experience / ideas.

Inca has recently lost weight and stopped peeing in her litter tray. She catches her foot on the tray when she tries to jump in.

I have changed the litter tray to an actual dinner tray, very low, but she still just peed at the side of the tray!

She is wetting the foot that she keeps catching, the one that seems weak. She then runs about and leaves urine foot prints all over the rug!!

She had blood tests last night, her kidneys are fine, so its not that.

She is deformed at the back, so the vet thinks its associated with that.

She is on Metacam for the inflammation and probiotics to help with weight. She is on a course of panacur too. We have to give these two weeks, and if thats not any better she will get x-rays.

Any ideas, suggestions etc would be helpful....i just want to get her better!!

It sounds as though she may have a disc prolapse causing compression on the nerves.

A spinal Xray may be useful but if it is a disc prolapse then the condition is likely to be chronic/progressive without major surgery. It could be managed with NSAIDs (Metacam) and acupuncture I would have thought :?

EC is another possibility and she's obviously on the correct treatment for that :)

It sounds as though she may have a disc prolapse causing compression on the nerves.

A spinal Xray may be useful but if it is a disc prolapse then the condition is likely to be chronic/progressive without major surgery. It could be managed with NSAIDs (Metacam) and acupuncture I would have thought :?

EC is another possibility and she's obviously on the correct treatment for that :)

Mmmm, that does sound like what it could be :(
Ill keep her on the meds for two weeks and get Xrays if there is no improvement. Ill also ask about acupuncture then too.
Im glad you agree that she is on the correct meds for the moment :)

Just had a thought....this disc prolapse, could she have done this by grooming herself underneath?
I mean, she has been cleaning herself at her genitals quite alot recently as it was sore with her deformity, could she have done some damage to her back by constantly trying to bend round to clean herself??

Just had a thought....this disc prolapse, could she have done this by grooming herself underneath?
I mean, she has been cleaning herself at her genitals quite alot recently as it was sore with her deformity, could she have done some damage to her back by constantly trying to bend round to clean herself??

Without knowing exactly what's going on then we'd only be guessing as to the possible causes. I would wait and see how she does over the next two weeks and then if Xrays are done you'll have more 'concrete evidence' for your Vet to work with and come up with the best way to help :)

Back