• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you ever feel youve made a mistake...

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
opening your heart to rabbits... i feel like im in a constant state of stomach churning.. every move alvin makes my stomach knots up wondering if its the start of stasis. hes eaten his veg and all pellets ive given but because ive been at work all day i havent seen him eating hay so im so sure hes starting with stasis again. i just watched him eat them special poops but he was making a crunching noise so im sitting there thinking is that teeth grinding :? then he bent himself in half to lick his privates and i panic theres some pain there too.... i dunno whats up with me... and you all know how im getting on with pearl.

i thought i was a replacer and id find the delicateness of bunnies a total doddle, one dies get a new one.. but im not so sure i can...im scared ive trapped myself into a life of forever getting a new partner for the remaining bunny but im so stressed with illness or possible illness im not letting the joy of knowing them wash over me like it used to. i know im tired i know im missing ste...but *sighs* its so hard loving them

please dont tell me im the only one with bunny doubts :cry::cry: someone out there must feel it too at somepoint in time

Your not, its even difficult when one has been poorly or is poorly.

I had Ruby poorly not so long ago and just recently its been Albie, hes still on treatment and i worry every day when i go out to him. Lottie is due a dental soon so thats another worry. And eventually there all in for vacs and health checks, which i dread :(

Ideally i would always like to have bunnies, as i enjoy looking after them and watching them etc, but i will not be replacing any until my numbers are smaller.

That's exactly how I felt with my bunnies, as they were ill almost from when I first got them. :( I still have my doubts about ever getting more, and in some ways I wish I'd never had bunnies, as you know both how lovely they are and how fragile! :cry:

Whilst I do have times where I want to run away from the stress and anxiety caring for a sick Bun can cause, I just cant imagin life without Rabbits.
It's a cliche, but the price we pay for having the privilege of sharing a Rabbit's life is the inevitable heartbreak their illnesses and demise will bring.

Believe it or not the reason I bought my first Rabbits (yes BOUGHT and from P@H too !! ) was because I knew I was about to loose my elderly dog and I wanted a Pet that I would not get so attatched to and consequently would not have to go through the pain of loss again..........

I got that one wrong xx

After losing Simba in 2008, Tinkerbell in May 2009 and Sooty in August 2009 I really doubted that I was looking after rabbits correctly and decided not to have anymore.

I missed having them around though so went and got Louie. Then, shortly after I got him, he stopped eating, on the same day as I had to have my Barney cat put to sleep, it was just all too much.

He recovered though and I wouldn't be without him BUT I do think that they are a big, big worry.

was because I knew I was about to loose my elderly dog and I wanted a Pet that I would not get so attatched to and consequently would not have to go through the pain of loss again..........

I got that one wrong xx

That was one of the reasons I chose rabbits too :?

I was completely wrecked when my family lost my dog I'd shared my life with between 7 and 24 and I did think I would get a dog when I got my own house but thought the emotional attachment/loss would be too much... so I went for the 'easy option' too :roll:

In the last few days (as most days) I just wouldn't be without them :love::love: I was a wreck last week when Kirsty lost Ivy (I've only met Ivy briefly when he was about 8 weeks old :roll:) but I knew how special he was.... reminded me how special my buns are and I've spent a lot of time cuddling them during the last 7 days.

I had a very low point last April when in one week I had to rush Roo to vets for bloat on the Saturday, Esme on the Monday for rolling episodes/fever then rushed Artie in on the Thursday - the day before his bladder op. It was exhausting and only a month earlier Izzy had died sudden. I really thought at that time, "No more when these have gone.".... my life would be empty without them though ..... sorry, got a black lop scratching the carpet and bouncing around for my attention ... must go :lol::lol::love:

i have to admit there have been times i have panicked because i know when i lose one of them, that it would be best for the other to have a new friend. but then the thought of having to lose yet another and keep getting a new friend for the ones left scares me. it's difficult because i sometimes think i could never go through this again but then the happiest times i have are because of them aswell. i can't imagine my life without pets. i would be so unhappy. then i think the bad times are worth it for the good times. it's difficult. especially looking after buns that aren't well.

i think i will always have pets because i would always want what was best for them. and if that means a new friend, then i would do that for them.

the pain of losing them is unbearable though. the thought of feeling that again petrifies me.

when i lost patch i didn't get another pet for 5 years and then when i did, smudge died after 8 days in pain. :cry: but i already had bisc and didn't want him to be alone so went back to get matt.

ah, they are too cute though!!!!! couldn't be without bunnies! :love::love::love:

Yep I must admit every time we lose a bun or have a sick one - I question myself silly :( I beat myself up thinking I've done something wrong or missed something - losing 7 bunnies last year was absolutley awful - most of them being relatively young :cry: Each time I'd say never again - I can't cope with the heartbreak :cry:

Mark says I am obsessed with them & making sure they are well - on the verge of being paranoid constantly that one of them is ill :oops: He's right though in a way, because of the run of bad luck we had last year :cry:

But I know deep down I will never be without bunnies (ok might not have so many in the future) - until such time I am no longer able to care for them.

i said that earlier this year..esp after losing beloved little bandit and cooky casper..but we took capser in knowing he was on limited time but still broke our hearts.

everyone tells me how thyeve had a rabbit for years in a hutch and it never had to see the vet once...:roll: but then its the same with my hamsters ive had and my digs and my cats.....what do i do wrong?

first up..hamsters rats etc are very prone to tumours...and catching strep throat infections off people....hence why school pets die so often. and of course stress!!

buns are not easy pets to keep..but everyone tells you they are..you had one as a kid right?

besides hamsters rats piggies and bunies arent like cats or dogs..you know...PROPER pets:roll::censored:

i have discovered buns are very complex but then so have been my cats!!

pets like people can fall prone to ailments disabilities....chronic illnesses......

yes buns are more fragile but some buns seem to be fine 24/7 how id like to know!!
my old cats are all passed..but three years ago i took in two kittens and went on to try to rehome one if not both once id got them fit n healthy. yep three years on..i still have em both!
the girl came into season/on heat at aged 4 months old! suffers from a sore nipple eevry few weeks.
her brother was diagnosed with a heart murmur aged one! it has got worse but so far seems stationery.he also has impacted frequently infected anal glands and gets pretty ill.

so how do buns seem any diff..ive had some who were healthier than ithers then were dying suddenly in front of my eyes.

not as much is known about buns healthwise as even 10 years ago folks still wouldnt spend money on their buns having xrays etc..easier n cheaper..THINGS HAVE CHANGED...buns are people too!!

having a seriously ill or chronically ill pet is hard..very hard.......so youre expected to feel that way..it wouldnt be normal not to!

i have uncontrollable epilepsy..along with a host of minor problems that afect my daily life. I am 24/7 carer to my 25yr old daughetr whose fought m.e for over 20 years and lost..is getitng worse not better and we both have severe chronic dperession and mood swings..she also has ocd.
so if were that bad....wed be hypocritical if we had healthy NORMAL buns or cats!:lol:

i love my bunnies but i know that for me they were a great mistake! i usually have gerbils or a hamster, but decided i wanted something more cuddly and i couldn't be at home for a dog. turns out not being at home is a problem, finding the right food is a problem, keeping them alive is a problem, what happens if i die first is a problem, what if i lose my job (i've spent over £100 on them this month and they havent been near a vet!) is a problem... yes, i love them and i'll stick with them as long as i possibly can but after these, no more. the emotional investment is too great and the money is a bit of a problem too!

i admit i used to feel this alot. when Enya was still with me her reoccuring stasis ment i was frequantly up till midnight syringe feeding her before getting up at 4 in the morning to start again. i would end up in tears on the floor pleading with her not to die yet wishing she would, either that or get better not this limbo inbetween. at her worst she was having stasis attacks every 7-10 days.

Pierre is differant:? maybe because there is nothing i can actualy do for him (though in some ways this is worse..sitting up all night syringe feeding him wont make the slightest difference) i do occasionaly give a heartfelt sigh when i look at my bank statments though.

im so glad im not the only one.. im really beginning to feel theres something wrong with me because i cant post happy wonderful updates oozing with pride and love like eveyone else.. a good nights sleep would help but i cant even relax enough to sleep :?

im so glad im not the only one.. im really beginning to feel theres something wrong with me because i cant post happy wonderful updates oozing with pride and love like eveyone else.. a good nights sleep would help but i cant even relax enough to sleep :?

You've had more to deal with than the average bunny owner. Loads of your recent posts do ooze love, there may be more about worry and concern but some of the posts of how Pearl greeted you with a 'head binky' etc ooze love. I'd never given a name to the head shake thing (all mine do it) but reading it I'm thinking, "Donna's got that description spot on".

You've had a particularly tough time to deal with bunny-wise, it's a good job them bunnies got you - a lesser person would have cracked ages ago. :love:

You've had more to deal with than the average bunny owner. Loads of your recent posts do ooze love, there may be more about worry and concern but some of the posts of how Pearl greeted you with a 'head binky' etc ooze love. I'd never given a name to the head shake thing (all mine do it) but reading it I'm thinking, "Donna's got that description spot on".

You've had a particularly tough time to deal with bunny-wise, it's a good job them bunnies got you - a lesser person would have cracked ages ago. :love:

thank you :love::love: altho tears at work oops :shock:

gotta pull myself together i wont crack and let my angel down.. the alternative to this nightmare is stop drugs and let her suffer.. no chance

i was looking at videos on my phone last night and its shocking how quick she has deteriotated since August (no vids before this thanx to the burgulars :evil:)

it was only beginning of December that she was destroying a pillow and lying down properly with her legs stretched out and she looked healthy too :cry::cry:

and the little demon, well hes still eating ok :oops:

when I first got bunnies [before I found RU] I didnt panic as I didnt know any better.Now I am on constant poo watch,especially as Loppy had an episode of stasis before Christmas.I also worry if they feel thinner sometimes when I stroke them,then convince myself they have molar spurs :roll: I was worried at the weekend as Ozzie hadnt finished his breakfast pellets although he was eating hay so I had him in the kitchen and spent the day chasing him to keep his guts moving.As soon as I put him back in his "home" he ate his pellets:roll: [I have since noticed he eats more in the evening]. Bunnies!!!!

You do a great job with Pearl and Alvin and they know they have a fantastic mummy :D Watching that video of them both excited and happy about veg time was lovely, so despite all the hard times and worries you know you've got two beautiful bunnies that you do ooze with pride and love over :D

I absolutely go to pieces when anything is wrong with either of my two - Jester's stasis episodes terrified me, their recent bunny squabbles/chasing and humping have had me on edge and upset in case anything happened and either one got hurt, Daisy's problems with uneaten caecals have made me paranoid she has every illness going ... :oops: ... but I couldn't imagine life without my gorgeous bunny babies :love: despite all the stress they bring.

My default position in anything health problem related is panic :oops: so I really admire how well you cope with it all. Sending you a hug.

i thought i was a replacer and id find the delicateness of bunnies a total doddle, one dies get a new one.. but im not so sure i can...im scared ive trapped myself into a life of forever getting a new partner for the remaining bunny but im so stressed with illness or possible illness im not letting the joy of knowing them wash over me like it used to. i know im tired i know im missing ste...but *sighs* its so hard loving them

please dont tell me im the only one with bunny doubts :cry::cry: someone out there must feel it too at somepoint in time

I've always had two housebunnies, thanksfully over 12 years I've only had 4 different ones, so I've actually only lost two. Both buns had a lot of illness in the last several years of their lives (one dental bun, and one jaw abcess/Ec/osteoarthritis/calcium issues), and of course both times I was utterly heart broken, so much so I took a week off work. After each I vowed not to have another bunny, but within a week the remaining bun has gone off their food and off I go to the rescue centre. :shock:

I love my furry babies more than anything but I have to break the cycle at some point. At some point one of them is going to have to be on their own, but I'm just not sure I could do that, so perhaps I will just have to continue, but I really do need to draw a line of how much of the living room gets filled up with bunny things! :lol:

I am lucky as so far (touch wood) Bobby has been okay, but I watch her like a hawk. and sometimes hse eats things that she shouldn't:no:

I then am on edge for the rest of the day... worrying about statis ect.... when she was young I had a lot of troubles with poops, runny ones, I was a nervous wreck... then I found RU, and feel a lot better now I know what to look out for.

Bobbby is getting a friend soon, which will probably mean double the worry, but I loves them soooo much:love:

I'm pretty lucky that by the age of 28 I've not lost a pet, friend or family member who has meant anything to me. I've not gone through that yet.

I hope that I continue to love like I've not been hurt after it happens and don't close off for fear of getting hurt again. But it's easier said than done.

Back