• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wont be feeding that again

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
Got home today to find Merlin with a really messy bum. I've been feeding him Excel junior to help with his weight. Poor lad I had to cut some of it off. :( He's merrily tucking into hay now.

Oh dear! That's worrying. I feed just the normal excel. One of mine had a sticky bum but I cut the pellets way down and at the same time cut down on the cabbage and broccoli so I'm not sure what it was or a combination of both. What pellets do you normally feed - do you think it might be because you changed suddenly?

I've been feeding a very small amount for a while now with science selective. I think I added a few too many to the mix. I haven't given him anything else new. He is up to 1.5 kg now :D So I think I will just cut them out and feed SS. Only just bought a new bag.

Last edited:
It really does depend on the bunny. Some buns get a sticky bum from it and others are OK. I had thought Merlin was OK with it.

Well, the dog's booked into the vets for a checkup on his artheritis for sat. I'll ask his advice but will keep a close eye on their butts!!

Well, the dog's booked into the vets for a checkup on his artheritis for sat. I'll ask his advice but will keep a close eye on their butts!!

Do remember that many vets have an agreement with Excel and sell it, for some vets it is in their best interests to encourage people to use it.

yup they can do..like the cat/dog food too!!

excel tends to give mucky bums or used to when i used it.......so did scinece selective...and my buns piled on weight on that!

allen and page has been fairer on buns tums and bums but bif has to have hers greatly reduced..altho last 48hrs i think ive fed her twice instead of once a day.

i tried oxbow timmy hay pellets with bif in the past....that didnt work.

it depends on buns.

ive never had any probs with burgess junior/dwarf on any of my buns, ive now put rosie on the mature version though, im wondering what to do with locksley when he is older, should i go to normal burgess i stick with junior/dwarf, just with rosie and mowgli i always fed junior/dwarf? :?

I have not had any problems with our mini lop with Excel Light and she has eaten it for some time - along with all the hay and other food.

Maybe it's dependent on the particular bun?

We use excel junior on the buns we need to put on weight, we have never had a problem with it. But you do need to experiment with quantities for a few days to get the right amount for each bunny :)

bOBBY HAS EXCEL JUNIOR and I am gradually changing over to adult, she has been fine so it depends on the bun really as was said above:D

im going to put locks on the normal excell when he is alittle older, having chatted with the vets today :wave:

Is SS junior or Mature the same shape as the regular SS?

I have had to take a few dental bunnies off SS becuase they struggled with the size and shape. Excel junior is tiny so much easier for them to eat

I think that the junior one is smaller, I don't know about the mature one, other than it does exist.

Is SS junior or Mature the same shape as the regular SS?

I have had to take a few dental bunnies off SS becuase they struggled with the size and shape. Excel junior is tiny so much easier for them to eat

SS Mature is round fairly large pellets and the junior is longish pellets but thiner if you know what I mean.

the mature one is larger, like the size of the normal adult pellets, whereas junior/dwarf is smaller, suitable for younsters and dwarf like nethies:wave:

Back