• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
After just seeing the set up of Kirkby,Is this normal of all rescues? Ive only ever visited rspca and redgate animal sanctury,Can you post pics here of your set ups?

Ive only ever been to one rescue, and thats Tree's (Underhill) Her set up is fab! She has massive hutches in aviary type run enclosures :) She also has a few wendy houses too i think :)

Our branch is all run by fosters and every fosterer has to have 6x2x2 hutch with 6x4 run :)

I guess it depends how big the rescue is too. Kirkby is so big, and is in a very poor area :( I know the guys on here do so much to help, but donations are so low :cry:

After just seeing the set up of Kirkby,Is this normal of all rescues? Ive only ever visited rspca and redgate animal sanctury,Can you post pics here of your set ups?

No, it's DEFINATELY not.
TBH ............... nope, shut ya mouth Jane.....................

My local RSPCA's brilliant. You can sort of see from this piccy of their website:

smallanimalhouse02.jpg

Each pair or single bun has a largeish indoor area with a cat flap to a run. Don't know the dimentions as we only went there when we adopted the bunnies

I have only seen Barc and its lovely :love: All the bunnies have big hutches and get out in runs reguarly!

Kirby is shocking to see, but its great people are pulling together to help out, i dont see the need for some comments. People are trying very hard at Kirby :?

ETA - i have seen Fat Fluffs too, sorry i forgot :wave:

Last edited:
I know I'm not a rescue but if you are interested some of our set ups are here http://www.rainbowrabbits.co.uk/our_sanctuary.htm

We spent a lot of time and money doing up half our outside accommodation last summer and we are planning to do a lot more this summer :)

I still can't see the Kirkby pictures.

I think the work everyone is doing there is amazing, and it is going to take a long time to get the place up to a good standard. But everyone is doing there best giving up there time and money to do as much as they can to help :)

I have been to Wood Green and their Heydon branch uses dog kennels for the bunnies, they are huge and the buns all have lots to do and lots of space to do it in.

I run a guinea rescue but that is a bit different as they need less space. I guess it depends, small independently run rescues just don't get the donations that larger places do

Sophie
x

I know I'm not a rescue but if you are interested some of our set ups are here http://www.rainbowrabbits.co.uk/our_sanctuary.htm

We spent a lot of time and money doing up half our outside accommodation last summer and we are planning to do a lot more this summer :)

I think the work everyone is doing there is amazing, and it is going to take a long time to get the place up to a good standard. But everyone is doing there best giving up there time and money to do as much as they can to help :)

Awww they all look lovely:love:

Thanks, we really want to replace the playhouse and large run as the snow has caused lots of damp problems and it is around 9 years old now.

The chicken coop has been replaced by a lovely hand made hutch and we are replace all 3 garden runs this year, plus another hutch and run set up

That looks lovely Liz, I knew it was going to be good as you love your bunnies so much but didn't realise it was quite that good.

I'm in 2 minds about the Kirkby situation. On one hand I think the buns shouldn't be in small hutches etc and tha they should set an example to the people who adopt from them.

On the other hand they have probably come from far worse. I'm sure lots had smaller accommodation, less effort was probably put into their care and lots of owners don't take their rabbitsto see a vet when they need to. At least they are safe and have the opportunity of finding a good forever home. I think their lives would probably be far worse if it wasn't for people like Celia.

Thanks, we really want to replace the playhouse and large run as the snow has caused lots of damp problems and it is around 9 years old now.

The chicken coop has been replaced by a lovely hand made hutch and we are replace all 3 garden runs this year, plus another hutch and run set up

Can I come move in?
If you need a hand DIYing then let me know...I'll bring J up and supply cake...I know you're not so far away now :D

The Blue Cross have large aviaries with kennels hide outs inside. The guinea pigs have hutches and runs.

Our local rescue and the blue cross one near me has the large averies with kennels attached for hid outs from public. The guinea's have the same accomodation too. I really like how its set out :)

No, it's DEFINATELY not.
TBH ............... nope, shut ya mouth Jane.....................

I'm not sure what you want to say:?, like I said the reason the videos are there are so we can be honest, we want to help Celia, but without fundraisers etc we haven't got the funds.

Hopefully in a few months time you will see a different picture:D

Remember Celia has had no help previously until I highlighted the situation back in September. People continually reported her to the RSPCA instead of helping. The RSPCA are not interested in closing her as she is doing them a service by taking in the animals. The only suggestion the Inspector made was to try and cut down, and he would help by putting the elderly or sick ones to sleep:evil:

I think you really need to bear in mind what has been said on many other threads regarding Kirkby - the enormity of what Celia is faced with on a daily basis. Yes I agree it is not ideal & things could be an awful lot better :? However, without Sue (hunnybunny2007) raising Kirkby's profile as she has done, I doubt any of the RU'ers involved now would be.

I wish I could wave a magic wand to make everything wonderful at Kirkby - but I can't :( One thing is for sure though we will as a group of volunteers continue to improve things where ever we can.

To be quite frank I have adopted from another rescue from RR that shocked me Far, far more than what I have seen at Kirkby - I won't name that rescue because I feel it serves no purpose :?

ETA - the only way to stop any rescue getting like this is to stop pet shops & breeders selling to anyone & everyone - many of whom then dump the poor animals on struggling rescues like Celia's.

And people want to know why I am so anti-breeding! :? :roll:

Last edited:
Arc does not have a centre as such but a network of foster carers.
I have 3 6x2x2 hutches and a shed for fosters, runs are 6x6 or 8x4 or big buns get supervised free range time of a 70ft garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back