• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vets and statistics

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone know if vets have to keep records of the numbers of animals they pts or loose under GA etc?

I know when people on here ask about finding a rabbit savvy vet they are often told to ask how many bunnies they have lost under GA, especially neuters etc :?

I was just wondering if that is why we are having problems with vets.

Our vets don't seem to be overly enthusiastic about what we do, although I can't complain too much about the actual treatment they give our bunnies.

We tried to change vets last year and I was getting on really well with the practice manager and she was going to arrange a meeting with the partners about taking us on and what discount they could offer etc etc. Then we had a conversation about the terminally ill buns we take in and when we choose to pts and she never rang me back again :?

I am just wondering if the sort of bunnies we take in means that we will upset a vets stats and therefore they don't want us on their books. We lost 4 rabbits last year going in for routine neuters so that wouldn't look good for them if someone rang up and asked :?

Not sure about whether they need to keep notes, will try to remember to ask tomorrow.
Our vets are very positive about what we do and respect the fact we take in animals in need. They try to make things as cheap as possible for us as best they can. To be honest, the fact that we are spending nearly £1000 a month now would affect their attitude rather than how many we lost. On our system the animals are on a list on the side of the screen, under your details, in alphabetical order and those put to sleep/ deceased move to the bottom of the list in a different colour. I've often thought it looks more like we are ****, neglectful owners rather than the vets are bad.

Does anyone know if vets have to keep records of the numbers of animals they pts or loose under GA etc?

I know when people on here ask about finding a rabbit savvy vet they are often told to ask how many bunnies they have lost under GA, especially neuters etc :?

I was just wondering if that is why we are having problems with vets.

Our vets don't seem to be overly enthusiastic about what we do, although I can't complain too much about the actual treatment they give our bunnies.

We tried to change vets last year and I was getting on really well with the practice manager and she was going to arrange a meeting with the partners about taking us on and what discount they could offer etc etc. Then we had a conversation about the terminally ill buns we take in and when we choose to pts and she never rang me back again :?

I am just wondering if the sort of bunnies we take in means that we will upset a vets stats and therefore they don't want us on their books. We lost 4 rabbits last year going in for routine neuters so that wouldn't look good for them if someone rang up and asked :?

I don't know....but if I were a vet surgery, I would be proud to be your vet....if you look at the animals you have and what they manage to do for some really difficult cases, that would be something I brought up in that situation. They can use it as an excuse too....as a reason for having what appear to be poor stats if they keep them.
I hope that all makes sense.....and if it doesn't, I hope you kind of get what I mean :oops:

I'm not sure about vets Liz but I know when I worked as an animal welfare officer, we had to legally keep records of any euthanised animal, so I would imagine there would be some regulation for vets.

I'm not sure about vets Liz but I know when I worked as an animal welfare officer, we had to legally keep records of any euthanised animal, so I would imagine there would be some regulation for vets.

This is what I'm thinking :? Our stats wouldn't look good on any vets records :(

vets must have hundreds of clients though - I know you've sadly lost a lot of bunnies, but would it make that much of a difference to the overall record of the whole practice?

also people would be daft to phone and ask how many rabbits were lost under GA in any circumstance, as a lot of those will inevitably have been poorly to begin with...asking how many lost under GA for neutering is totally different as presumably there you're starting with a healthy animal.

From what my vets have said to me in the past, they don't have many rabbits on their books. And when a rabbit is brought in sick they are normally asked to pts because the owner doesn't want to pay out :(

I may be completely wrong in my thinking but I can't understand why the other vet suddenly stopped returning my calls when they were so enthusiastic at the start. And my vet has really :censored: me off this week so it got me thinking :?

Ah I see...I should have guessed as my vet has said much the same to me (about people wanting to PTS rather than pay out), awful stuff. Are you still considering changing vets or is it too impractical?

we did find the one other vet which we thought we could trust but like I said they suddenly disappeared.

there aren't any others close enough that I would trust. When you consider how often we go and how fragile some of our buns are travelling any distance wouldn't be practical

My nan always asked when we were looking at new vets for Honey, she comes on here too much reading what you lot write :lol:
But 3/4 said they couldn't realise information as it was stored for surgery purposes only, or to that effect?

we did find the one other vet which we thought we could trust but like I said they suddenly disappeared.

there aren't any others close enough that I would trust. When you consider how often we go and how fragile some of our buns are travelling any distance wouldn't be practical

oops I didn't read the first post properly, sorry :oops: it's been a long day :oops:

I sometimes consider changing my vet but the one I use is only 5 mins away and I really don't want the buns to endure lots of extra travelling if they ever do get ill :? - I think it's one of those impossible situations to be honest.(Sorry - I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear!)

Liz, i wonder if it would be worth just one more phone call to this vet. They may have a simple explination as to why they haven't got back to you (sickness then simply forgetting etc)

I remembered to ask my vet about this today- legally they don't have to keep records ( in Scotland anyway), the computer could bring up the number of deceased animals but with no distinction.

In England (at least) client records must be held for seven years, even if the client has moved to a different practice.

In England (at least) client records must be held for seven years, even if the client has moved to a different practice.

I meant records of animals lost during an op. The info will be on the individual record, but there won't be a list of those specific deaths.

Back