• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male Weeing all over

rabbit mad

Warren Scout
Hello All,

I have a 13 month old male rabbit, who is seeming to "spray" his wee all over the cage, run and his wife :oops::oops: causing her to stink, along with the cage.

What can I do to stop this, is this something that always happens.

My other male didnt do this, so i am not sure why it is happening.

Also my vet advised me to bath my female just before xmas to clean her up a bit, as she was pulling fur out, I am now thinking it is because she smelt and wanted rid of it. Can I bath her again or is this something that is not really a good think?

Many Thanks :wave::wave:

thats why he smells, is his wife neutered ??

im surprised the vet didnt say to be honest an un neutered bun that smells i would of though is pretty obvious to a professional

Hello :wave:

I could be wrong, but the female might have had a false pregnancy. Is she speyed? or lives with the other rabbits?

With the boy, I should think he is spraying everywhere because he isnt neutered. So once you get him snipped, he should stop.

He should stop. Oggie was done ages ago, and he has never sprayed.

Also, edit my post up there ^ its phantom pregnancy not false. Although I suppose they mean the same thing really.

phew, was thinking we would start talking about a whole new subject then,

yes, your wee lil fella is marking his territory all over the place, and it does whiff a bit too, neutering should stop this :D

The vet not suggest this at all though ??

males can be done as young as 12 weeks providing their plumbs have dropped, you should be able to see them yourself, at his age you shouldn't miss them, my eldest bun was 5 yrs when i got him done plumbs huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge :lol:

umm yes he does have large plums :oops::oops::oops:

No he didnt mention it, he did say to get him done but more for cancer reasons umm maybe he thought I would be able to read his mind, and find out that way that by getting him done, he would stop doing this.

umm yes he does have large plums :oops::oops::oops:

:lol::lol: s'ok least you know, he may not like you for a few days,

some people take both partners into the vets for company only seperating while in recovery, others like to seperate until buns recover, i havent had to seperate before, but i think thats personal choice, they do recover quicker than girls, one of mine was trying to run around after 12 hours, that was a nightmare, trying to keep him in on a nice soft warm towel :lol:

he doesnt like me now any way is always stomping and scratching me.

Thanks for your help think I might have to ring the vets for an appointment :wave:

yep my claude the frenchie is booked in for his op in 2 weeks time and poor muffin his wife doesnt half pong cuz of him and the spray is everywhere.

just phoned my vets and got a quote for £45.00 I then phoned a further 3 so got four quotes they were around the same price, apart from one who wanted £80.00 does £45 seem o.k.??:wave::wave:

Starting to feel guilty for even thinking about doing it to him, the dog has heard me talking to hubby and is sort of looking at me as if to say:- and before you even think about it you can leave my plums alone :lol::lol::lol:

Yep £45 is quite good for a neuter :) It will definately stop the spraying :) I recently had a 3yr old male foster bunny neutered and hes stopped spraying, thank god! :lol:

Hope your boy will be ok xXx

£45 seems a very decent price but do make sure they see and neuter lots of rabbits you wouldn't want just anyone operating on you rabbit! Maybe post where you live and someone may be able to recommend a vet.

Funny about the dog! Guess the husband is looking sheepish too! Get 'em all done I say, maybe you'll get a discount for quantity!!

we've been to this vet before he is our normal rabbit vet, and has advised us on loads of issues, the receptionist even put me through to the vet on the phone to discuss it, I am very confident in him.

HAHA yeah that could be an idea.

:lol::lol:

we've been to this vet before he is our normal rabbit vet, and has advised us on loads of issues, the receptionist even put me through to the vet on the phone to discuss it, I am very confident in him.

HAHA yeah that could be an idea.

:lol::lol:

That's good, just thought as he hadn't advised you about the neutering to stop the spraying himself you may not have so much confidence in him!

it was a different vet, I asked the question... the guy I spoke to is my normal vet... but thought he had left but noo he was on an extended holiday luckiy.

He'll be happier neutered too, settle down, less risk of cancer and stop spraying - the op is so much easier on a male too. My little Benson was hopping around again the same evening I got him home! You won't regret it.

Back