• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 Diagnosed with Myxi, am defastated

Hi All,

Bumped into this forum as I have been browsing around the world to learn more about the stages of myxomatosis.
Sunday, nearly 2 weeks ago, one of my 4 month old rabbits' eyes looked infected. I didn't suspect anything nasty as it isn't the first time that they had a bit of sawdust or something in it, little clean no prob but...Monday, it got worse. Had an appointment with the vet Tuesday Morning, by then Coffee (my rabbit) eyes were completely closed, further inspection showed genitals swollen, you name it.
Coffee shares his hutch with his Brother Bailey, the likelyhood was that also Bailey would have been exposed to myxi.
Because of the strentgh and nature of my rabbit, the Vet agreed to give him a chance to fight it and we made another appointment for last Monday. The first week of survival the first mile stone!
Was sent home with antibiotics. Kept Bailey and Coffee together (As most likely he would contract it anyway) and separated their hutch away from my other 7 rabbits. The descision to keep Bailey in with his brother was hard, but they are soo close that separating them would have caused stress.

For Coffee we have now reached day 12. We are 2 days away from the 2 week milestone. But this morning as feared, Bailey has the early signs of Myxi.
red rimmed eyes and his genitals are slightly swollen.
Although we knew that this would happen... I am on a real low....

Again went to the Vet this morning with the thought to put an end to it as Coffee was trying to eat but couldn't pick up the green pellets and was struggling badly because his mouth is sooo swollen.

However the vet was more optimistic about Coffee as he still has all his usual rabbity habbits and seems internally well and had not lost much weight. He has come this far and he doesn't seem to suffer, he said. (Giving me more hope) so off I went home with more anti-biotics (for Bailey this time) and eyedrops and some paste to help feed Coffee but...

I am still so low and am having this inner struggle. Have been looking for succes stories but only found a few and allthose rabbits had the type of myxo where they were covered in lesions. Mine haven't got those.
Because fo there age, we haven't gotten round to innoculate them for myxi and according to the vet it won't affect the other rabbits in time to be of any benefit for them as they also may have been exposed (They are all of the same family).

Am writing this in this forum... in the hope that maybe one of you may have been succesful nurturing a rabbit through the sniffles type myxi, that also has not been innoculated.
(It sounds and is gloomy)
And if you have been able to...how long did it take for the myxi to break. What are the earliest signs of a possible recovery?
I have already read so much doom and gloom and although I am prepared for it... it would be nice to hear something more cheerful.

Thank you

I am very sorry to hear this :cry:

As I am sure your Vet has told you, the chances of an unvaccinated Rabbit surviving Myxomatosis are minimal :cry: It is usually a secondary bacterial pneumonia that causes death, although if the Rabbit is unable to eat and is refusing to accept supportive (syringe) feeds then GI stasis is another likely scenario :cry:

I guess very much will depend on the virulance of the particular strain of Myxomatosis that is effecting your Rabbits and how much their individual immune system can fight it. I would be lying if I said I thought that there is a good chance of a happy outcome :cry:

Vaccinated Rabbits can recover, I have known of that in numerous cases. But I have no *personal* knowledge of an unvaccinated Rabbit surviving :cry:

Has your Vet prescribed an anti-inflammatory analgesia aswell as antibiotics ?
IMO this is essential as Myxomatosis obviously causes alot of inflammation.

For future information the Myxomatosis Vaccine can be given to Kits from the age of 6 weeks.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html

When I was a teen and before I knew better I had an unvacinated bun contract myxi. I fought as hard as I could for her, but it wasn't enough as she soon developed secondary infections, pneumonia. Looking back on it I now think I was selfish, that maybe I was fighting for my benefit not for hers. She suffered terribly and I really feel it would of been kinder to PTS. I really hope you have a happier outcome, but like Jane I've not heard of an unvaccinated buns pulling through their ordeal.

So sorry. :( I can't really offer any advice as I no experience of mxyi. Hopefully someone will be along later.

Thank you so much for your responses!
I went this morning to the Vet with the thought that I would come back without my two rabbits. I was waiting for him to say, let's put them to sleep but...because Coffee hasn't lost any weight, he remained optimistic in comparisson to my I have given up attitude.
So far the anti-biotics have stopped Coffee from developping pneumonia and apart from the swollen eyes, mouth and genitals, he is strange enough otherwise well.
So far as I know, or have seen...most people put their rabbits to sleep, this means that we will indeed get hardly any survival stories too.

Some reports I have found and read concerning the wild rabbit population, is that fatallity has been reduced from 99% to 35%.

I have been pondering, to decide what is the best thing to do. Nobody seems to know the stages of this kind of Myxi.
What I have found is that most rabbits die because of the stress (Heart failure) or starve to death.

The other thing that I have been pondering over and over again is, how on earth did my rabbits get this? If it is spread by biting insects or fleas, then howcome when it is freezing outside that these rabbits have been infected?
They have no fleas, there hutch is off the ground at eye level, they have a brand new hutch, no mites, nothing.
Until I found another report which I found interesting.
Some research was made on how myxi was spread or can be spread by the means of thorns.
The Hay I give to my rabbits comes from Pets at Home. And often I put my hand in there to find loads of these very tiny thorn in my fingers.
The theory is that infected wild rabbits have been pricked and left their infected blood on it and whilst eating the domestic rabbit can be pricked in the mouth etc.
(I know it is a theory that I have read as scientifically - according to this report - it has not been concluded).
I live in Essex and no other reports of Myxi have been made yet.

Am I selfish to keep my rabbits alive? One part of me says maybe but the other part says how would I know if they can survive as... the breed of rabbit is part wild, part domestic... may they have a litttle immunity?

I have looked at so many photos of rabbits with myxi to find out what to expect but none of them look like mine. there is no puss coming out of there noses, there lungs don't rattle or wheeze when they breath, they find it difficult to breath because of the swollen nose but their lungs are clear..

There are no lesions... what if this report about infected by thorns is correct? Could it be a weaker strain? In theory hay for pet rabbits must have been at least 6 months old before being fed to the pets (Why is that?)
The hay I fed them though felt very fresh and even moist...
Does Pets at Home check their batches of hay and ensure that the suppliers have indeed left it to drie for 6 months?

I cannot say I am optimistic about my 2... but I can ensure you... as soon as I see them stopping being their usual rabbity selfs and are in pain (which they don't seem to be at the moment) they will go to the vet to be put to sleep... Coffee is now 4 days away from the fatal 14 days that is given to them... but still drinks, wants to eat (I help him there by putting strips of greens in his mouth and parsley) Every morning the hutch is full with healthy poo lol.
Do I give up at this stage? or for the benefit of many other pet owners follow it through, for the just in case scenario that he may be an odd one out that may beat it?

If this would have been one of my english spot rabbits, I would have put them down... the reason is their nature. Nervous and were born at a farm and not in a domestic surroundings so are not used to being handled.

So many thoughts, questions and what is the correct descicion? So far nobdy has seen the stages of this strain as the sniffle ones often die within a week or are being put to sleep.

I am sorry for rambling on...

There are many reports about the strain with the lesions.... does anyone have found anything a research where they have observed this one?

For now... I am keeping a diary and keep on looking and fight as long as my rabbs want to fight... but not just for the sake of it.

Thank you for you support and kind thoughts

Hi I have just read through your posts and it's really interesting, the theories you have may well be possible although it will take veterinary knowledge to confirm if the virus remains 'live' in infected blood on the thorns long enough to be infectious through digestion.

Although the weather is cold atm I have still seen mosquito's on the milder damp nights aswell, if they can find a nice warm place to be then it is feasible they can survive the extreme temperatures I think, stagnant water well covered with weeds etc.

My rabbits are vaccinated and even if walking in an area with wild rabbits around I would be careful about my footwear, I know it's not like foot and mouth but, I don't think you can be too careful. You have raised some really interesting points here I think, I don't have direct experience with Myxi to be able to comment on the condition itself but, from a personal point of view if you feel you are strong enough mentally and physically and your rabbits are prepared to fight I would do all I could to help, I know it may be futile if they don't improve I am sure when the time comes the vet will probably advise ending things, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your rabbits to have the strength to fight it.

Just another thought aswell, I read somewhere that the wild rabbit population eventually will become more immune to the disease, the biology of how and why I am not too clear on but, apparently an immunity is developing now and being passed onto the new kits who are inevitably going to be stronger. I can only compare it to having flu yourself, if you contract the same strain again your body is more likely to recover faster as you have antibodies already in store. Best of luck to you xx

I'm sorry to hear your bunnies are affected by this terrible disease.

I have read about the transmission of the myxomatosis virus by thorns (I think experiments have shown it to be possible) I am not sure whether this is why hay is dried for 6 months or whether this is simply to remove all the moisture to prevent the hay spoiling.

As to whether it is right not to euthanase, all you can do is follow your heart and the advice of your vet, and not allow them to suffer if it becomes hopeless. While they seem willing to try to fight for their lives I think it is reasonable to let them, s long as you do not put other bunnies at risk.

Best of luck xx

Sending big massive vibes for your buns.

Sorry I have no experience of Myxi. I think there are a few strains of myxi, but like you say many probably pts so there may not be many cases to look at, i am sure there are some though.

Like Vicki said i am sure the vet wouldnt cause your buns any unnecessary suffering and that the fact that he is carrying on treatment sounds like a good sign to me.

I have everything crossed for you and your buns. Stay strong. Good luck xxxxx

I'm so sorry your buns have this dreadful virus :(

You sound like a very loving owner who would always do right by their buns.

I think you did the right thing keeping Bailey and Coffee together, since they shared a hutch anyway it was inevitable that Bailey would come down with it as well.

I honestly think you have to do what YOU feel is right and trust your vet to tell you if it's time to stop, or if the buns give you "that look" then you'll know.

You know your buns better than anyone else. Don't let anyone influence you either way, it needs to be your decision.

I hope with all my heart that Bailey and Coffee pull through this, please keep us posted.

Big hugs,
Aussie xx

Myxi is a long drawn out illness, you're looking about 4-6 weeks to turn the corner. Being young and fit and having a bit of wild bun in them may help, only time will tell.

I'm not sure thorns is very likely because it's quite rare for rabbits to get scratched because of their thick fur. The odds of a infected rabbit getting scratched, the virus surviving six months of storage and then a pet rabbit getting scratched by the same thorn... sound a little far fetched. I would think more likely a fly or flea found somewhere warm to hole up or was carried by a dog/cat/badger/fox/bird that still move about even in cold weather.

Incubation for myxi is 5-14 days so if your other rabbits are clear at the 14 day mark I would vaccinate then. It should mean they haven't caught it from the original source (whatever it was) and it will help minimise the risk of it transmitting from the infected rabbits to those not.

Good luck :)

Am I selfish to keep my rabbits alive?

Sorry Coffeholic I didn't mean to imply this, it was just how I felt after my experience, because I felt my reluctance to PTS meant I let it get too far and she was suffering. If your rabbit it not suffering there is no reason you cannot try to fight this.

A useful tip, luke warm black tea is great for bathing their sore eyes. Also make sure food and water sources are low and easy to find as I found the vision was slightly impaired by the puffyness of the eyes.

Back