• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! My rabbits have forgotten ALL their toilet training

suzymcben

New Kit
I had my two 7 month old male lionheads neutered 1 week ago.
They have been in 2 cages indoors for the past week to recover and because it's been so so cold! They were great. They used their litter trays for all their wee and 80% of their droppings.
Yesterday i put them back out in their outdoor cages. They have twice the space there as they have 2 levels. I put all their old things in, inc. their old litter tray and the biggest corner toilet (new) for rabbits with shavings (their normal choice for doing their do). They have both done 100% of their droppings OUTSIDE of both litter trays/toilets and 80% of their wee outside of them aswell!. Their cage is lined with adhesive tiles so they are just weeing onto them. This is NOT like them at all. I've had them for 6 months and they've never just wee'd on 'nothing'. They've always gone on shavings.
I don't know what to do. I've taken them out and cleaned all wee up with hot water and then vinegar but i'm worried they will just re-offend. I can't do this for the next 3 weeks. I say 3 weeks as hopefully their hormones will have worn off by then and they won't be going everywhere and anywhere. But if they start this new habit there may be no stopping them.
I've tried watching them to put them in their tray when they want to go but i watched them for over an hour and all they did was 'drop' everywhere. It's just not like them. I really want them to go properly and not have to line the whole cage with hay and sawdust because they can't control themselves. I'm sure it was just all the excitement but if anyone has any advice i'll gladly accept it
thanks.....

Is it a new hutch or one they were in previously? If its new they are probably just establishing their territory and should settle. You might have more success if you put hay in their litter tray as bunnies seem to be obsessed with munching whilst they do their business.

no it's their old cage. just with new tiles. I've tried hay. they just sit at the edge of their tray and eat the hay from the box. they usually prefer the sawdust. they see hay as just for eating and not going to the toilet in.

Back