• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT - Zithromax info needed

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I asked my vet this morning about trying Zithromax for Pootle, but she couldn't find any info on how it should be administered to rabbits (orally? / sub-q? /IV?)

And does anyone know what the correct dosage for rabbits is?

TIA

Amy

Dana Krempels says this on one of her sites

"The reason you may be getting conflicting dosages for rabbits is because the drug has not been officially approved for rabbits, so people are still experimenting with the most effective dosage. The dose I see most often is 20mg/kg once per day, but I've seen it go as high as 30mg/kg once per day.

I usually like to use the higher dose, especially at the start of treatment, to bash the bacteria as hard as possible--as long as it doesn't harm the host. But discuss this with your vet and see what dose the vet wants to use"

I have used it orally for URTI with great success. Can't remember what the doasge was though.

It smelt like it should taste quite nice :)

orally. I used it for headtilt with amazing results. It is best to use probiotics as well as it can upset a rabbits stomach. Also best not to give on an empty stomach. i had no side effects but i have heard of bunnies with upset stomachs so best to follow those guidelines. I gave 2 ml once a day for five days and then we did it every other day. My bunny was about 2.5kg.
hope that helps!

Hi Amy only just seen this - I can't remember the dosage unfortunately we used for Wilson's headtilt :oops: But I can remember the bottle we were prescribed had to be mixed with sterile water & only lasted 3 days - we had 2 lots for Wilson & it was a godsend for him thanks goodness.

Hi Amy only just seen this - I can't remember the dosage unfortunately we used for Wilson's headtilt :oops: But I can remember the bottle we were prescribed had to be mixed with sterile water & only lasted 3 days - we had 2 lots for Wilson & it was a godsend for him thanks goodness.

Same here. My vet used to split the powder into two batches and I'd make up one batch with about 5ml of water (can't remember the exact amount) - use that for 4 days or so and then make up the second batch which was then given every other day.

We had a bottle that was already made up. It did have a limited time on it but I can't remember what probably 28 days as I am sure Gideon was on it for over 2 weeks. I knwo it was expensive, over £40 for the bottle

I've just heard that my Zithromax has arrived at the vets...I'm going over to pick it up this lunchtime :D

OMG I'm just hoping and praying that it works for Pootle

Back