• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Castrating and showing help!

Hello,
i have two male rabbits lived together since the say they both poped out (they arent brothers) and get alone well, they are nearly a year old but in the last few weeks they have started humping each other and there is a female near by, they are not fighting its just humping lol!
Decided that after i have bred one of them with my female i will castrate him after with the money i get from selling the babies,
How much is it on average to castrate a rabbit?

Showing - I decided that in the summer i want to show my female lionhead, she is very pretty and has a stunning colour fur! i think she will do well at a show and i wont the experiance, does anyone no of any rabbit shows in hamsphire?

hya this is an anti breeding forum,id seperate both bucks now before they do serious damage.for info on showing go on the brc website:wave:

To show rabbits they need to be BRC rung from a young age.

Maybe some of the young ones will be showable.

I didn't realise however this was an anti breeding website as posted above.......... just different views.

See the BRC, and if its lion heads then do a search for lion heads groups there is probably a regional membership etc to belong to.

I am becoming a member of the regional and nation english spots groups, so i assume there must be something for your rabbits.

Hi :wave:

I don't think you'll get any money back on the youngsters....most likely for all the care costs you'll be worse off. By breeding them you risk losing mummy bun. I'm also pretty sure that does aren't showed after they've had litters.....but wouldn't know. She will need to have a ring on her leg already.

Baby bunnies cost a lot, and there's no way of knowing whether you can sell them all.

If you're truly set on breeding then you should know at least 5 generations are clear of health problems, otherwise the babies are at risk of getting a hereditary disease. The parents should be good examples of the same breed....otherwise you might get health problems from the different shaped buns.

Breeding isn't something to be done on a whim...this is why there are so many bad breeders, and such awfully ill rabbits out there. It's expensive and risky to breed.....really not worth it.

It'd be much better to leave it to the good breeders who know what they're doing, and who do it well....and everyone else to just stop!! Your bunnies would be far happier to all be neutered and put in a group together.

...there are other things but I have to go clean out the buns...hopefully someone else will say them.

yeah this webiste is part of the Rabbit Rehome website likewise for the guinea pig side of the forum. of course all members are welcome but if your interested in breeding you may get better information else where.

Hello
I show mini lops, well only a bit at the moment. You need to be a BRC memeber to show i'm not sure what the membership fee is but its listed on the website. Where did you get your lionhead from? There is alot more then just a good coat there will be lots of things that will make her "good type" the show standard is also listed on the brc website. If you really want to go into showing I sugest you go along to a show and have alook around talk to some people and decide if its something you would like to do, if so get yourself some good foundation rabbits to start with. If you want to have your rabbit castrated then I would recomend having a litter to cover the cost it doesn't really work like that. I have a great local vet that only charges me £25 for a buck and £35 for a doe. Call up your local vets to check for prices they can differ greatly.
Best of luck

Also, just to add, that I would get suspected homes for all the babies (obviously otherwise, you would be left with quite a few rabbits). Then homecheck the peoples home, and do general care sheets.

Hello,
i have two male rabbits lived together since the say they both poped out (they arent brothers) and get alone well, they are nearly a year old but in the last few weeks they have started humping each other and there is a female near by, they are not fighting its just humping lol!
Decided that after i have bred one of them with my female i will castrate him after with the money i get from selling the babies,
How much is it on average to castrate a rabbit?

Showing - I decided that in the summer i want to show my female lionhead, she is very pretty and has a stunning colour fur! i think she will do well at a show and i wont the experiance, does anyone no of any rabbit shows in hamsphire?

Do you know the genetic background (going back at least 3-4 generations) of the Rabbits you intend to breed?
Lionheads are prone to congenital Dental problems (maloclussion). Are you certain this problem is not an issue in your Rabbits ?

Also, even if your Bucks are not fighting yet it is very stressful for two entire Bucks to be kept together in close proximity to a Doe. I would strongly advise you to seperate the Bucks.

Back