• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tunnels

Candiflare

Mama Doe
i've just been looking through old housing threads and in one of them somebody has posted a picture of their run with a tunnel for their rabbits to play in. One member has responded saying that they should be careful with the tunnel and not leave the rabbits unsupervised with it. They have put a link underneath (maybe detailing a thread of somehting that happened with a tunnel) but the link doesn't work anymore.

Can anybody think what the health and safety problems might be with a tunnel?

Is it a fabric tunnel with wire through it? I'm sure there was a thread about "pop up" type tunnels or houses collapsing and traping a bun.

If it was wooden tunnel made up of willow sticks, a bunny was injured quite badly as there was either a very sharp piece of stick or wire sticking out underneath the tunnel. When the bunny ran through it was injured in the head by it :(

The fabric ones have wire in them. If the bunny bites and chews the fabric off it leaves the wires exposed which can be dangerous.

Some bunnies also chew the green plastic ones quite badly so you need to keep an eye on them as they are quite sharp once chewed and also you don't want the bun swallowing the plastic.

You can get hay tunnels adn cardboard ones as well, which have been quite popular with mine.
I have the green tunnels, and mine absolutely love them! If they need to cross the run, they'll make sure they use a tunnel rather than the direct route.

I read one a while ago where 2 buns got stuck in the tunnel head to head and couldnt squeeze past each other and got stuck and one sufficated... they recommended that everyone cuts little holes so that if the bun did get stuck they could still breathe :cry:
I hope i got the fact rights - but it was somehting like that :cry::cry:

I read one a while ago where 2 buns got stuck in the tunnel head to head and couldnt squeeze past each other and got stuck and one sufficated... they recommended that everyone cuts little holes so that if the bun did get stuck they could still breathe :cry:
I hope i got the fact rights - but it was somehting like that :cry::cry:

You are right. That was my much loved and missed Strawberry and Blueberry. I had used a piece of drain pipe as a tunnel when they were small and I didn't realise they had outgrown it :cry::cry: I wanted to warn others who might make the same mistake xx

You are right. That was my much loved and missed Strawberry and Blueberry. I had used a piece of drain pipe as a tunnel when they were small and I didn't realise they had outgrown it :cry::cry: I wanted to warn others who might make the same mistake xx

:cry: It was something I remembered from when I first joined and was like :shock::cry: you never think these tragic accidents could happen - but thanks so much for highlighting it as now all my tunnels have holes! :D so Thank you!

:cry: It was something I remembered from when I first joined and was like :shock::cry: you never think these tragic accidents could happen - but thanks so much for highlighting it as now all my tunnels have holes! :D so Thank you!

One thing I know about rabbits is there ability to find trouble!
I think it is also a good idea to have 'grip' on the floor of tunnels so they can reverse out if need be, and to just make sure they are wide enough xx

Oh heavens!! Something new for me to worry about!!! As if I wasn't paranoid enough!! Will do no good now until I can get holes cut in their green plastic tunnel! Then I'll worry that the hole might be too small or too big and they might get their head stuck through it!! Love my rabbits WAAAAAAAY tooooooo much!!

Back