• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

torturing myself over pearl (again)

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
after Oscar was put out of his misery yesterday i cant help but think im only keeping pearl going out of selfishness. ive been looking on the net for HOW WILL I KNOW answers because im so scared ill miss it :cry::cry:

i found this

Warning signs are:

* Not eating or drinking <<< shes still greedy
* Withdrawn or lethargic <<< not yet, shes too active for my liking tbh
* Neglecting himself <<< nope still grooming Alvin too
* Incontinence <<< nope
* Signs of pain - he may cry out if touched << she squeaks when i give her meds sometimes :cry::cry:
* Cannot get comfortable <<< this sometimes seems to be the case, she cant seem to lie down for long and most times i see her shes sitting up with her head up :(
* Unwilling to move about <<< she still moves about, but she rests more.. no more destruction play. but i did get a breakfast binky this morning
* Tumors or injuries <<< N/A
* Unable to hold head up when at rest <<< head is held up most of the time

am i cruel keeping her going while shes clearly not breathing well but seems happy and intested in life.. im so torn :cry::cry::cry::cry:

last night she gave me a thorough grooming but she coughed a few times, she did put her head down for me to groom her.. but she looks frail, too old for a 2 year old

Sounds like she still has a fair quality of life to me :)

If we pts all the buns we had that can't relax their head when at rest there would be a lot less bunnies here. And as you know we don't let our bunnies suffer in anyway, we tend to pts earlier rather than later as we feel it is important that there last memories are happy ones :)

Only you and Pearl will know when the time is right and even then, if you are like me, you will question it a million times but deep down you will know.

I know how worring and draining it is having a terminally ill bun and having it hanging over your head - when do I make THAT decision. But it shows how much you love her and want to do the right thing :love:

Thinking of you xxx

Aw, don't torture yourself:( The time you have left with Pearl is precious, so enjoy it. I am very serious when I say you will know, they have a way a communicating that they are ready to go. It is hard to explain but easy to see and feel, even though the knowledge is painful. Pearl sounds like she is still happy and chugging along. She's eating and loving you and Alvin, she doesn't sound ready to let go just yet:love: Nose rubs for the most beautiful Pearl:love::love::love: and vibes for you to keep you strong for your girl:)

My Snowdrop had to be PTS due to heart failure. Her breathing had got so bad that she couldn't eat, so we had to make the decision.

Pearl won't be in pain from her condition, so as long as she's eating and drinking, then I'd carry on if I were you.

It's a tough decision, but I'm sure you'll know the right time

((Hugs)) xx

thankyou for your replies, it is the breathing/head up thats troubling me because of no experience i dont know if thats pain or suffering. think ill put of the torturing myself over this for a few more days then :oops::oops:

Poor you Donna...I'm so sorry that it has got like this with Pearl. She still sounds like she has a good quality of life and loves her time with you and Alvin. I really don't think the time has come yet. Obviously I'm not an expert and Liz knows much more about it than I do, but I've decided that if my bunnies ever suffer past a certain point, I will PTS immediately. I'd say that reaction is more for me than for them, because I would probably have a nervous breakdown if I saw them suffering badly, as I am not as strong as other people on here, and I would not want them to have a difficult or painful death.

But from the sound of it, Pearl still enjoys her life, so I think she can go on longer.

Aw hun sending hugs to you, its funny because the Oscar being put to sleep thread gave me the exact same thoughts last night.

I was reading his thread yesterday and looked over at Lionel and he did his little choking thing that he does and i thought am i cruel for doing this, its clearly not nice for him when he does that. Then i got up and went into the kitchen and he was climbing the side of the pen bouncing up on his one back leg to see if i had something for him :love:

I am using this as a point, when he stops getting excited for treats then i will know its time.

Please stop worrying yourself over it hun, you are doing the best you can for Pearl xxx

I am using this as a point, when he stops getting excited for treats then i will know its time.

she still beats Alvin up for the treats. i guess when she dont do that it really is too much. but im scared ill leave it too late and her memories wont be good :? but too early and its a waste of happy memory making.

when i got rabbits i really expected a few more years before this sort of stuff :oops::cry:

I think she'll let you know when she's had enough. I don't think it sounds like now...but only you can judge that. I honestly believe you will know...

I think she'll let you know when she's had enough. I don't think it sounds like now...but only you can judge that. I honestly believe you will know...

thats what people tell me.. but im quite dense and might miss her telling me, then id have that guilt to live with :oops::cry:

ill go with the not excited over treats as my sign i think, and if i get *that* feeling sooner then i guess everyone is right and i will know

dont want her to die tho :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

You noticed that Pearl was poorly even though nobody else spotted it, so I think you're being a little harsh on yourself by saying you won't be able to tell. I have every faith in you xx

Hi Donna. I can only tell you that when Nia was beginning to fail I was asking the same question, but believe me you'll have no doubt when it is time. The light goes from the eyes and you'll just know. Thinking of you.

Hi Donna. I can only tell you that when Nia was beginning to fail I was asking the same question, but believe me you'll have no doubt when it is time. The light goes from the eyes and you'll just know. Thinking of you.

I completely agree with this.

after Oscar was put out of his misery yesterday i cant help but think im only keeping pearl going out of selfishness. ive been looking on the net for HOW WILL I KNOW answers because im so scared ill miss it :cry::cry:

i found this

Warning signs are:

* Not eating or drinking <<< shes still greedy
* Withdrawn or lethargic <<< not yet, shes too active for my liking tbh
* Neglecting himself <<< nope still grooming Alvin too
* Incontinence <<< nope
* Signs of pain - he may cry out if touched << she squeaks when i give her meds sometimes :cry::cry:
* Cannot get comfortable <<< this sometimes seems to be the case, she cant seem to lie down for long and most times i see her shes sitting up with her head up :(
* Unwilling to move about <<< she still moves about, but she rests more.. no more destruction play. but i did get a breakfast binky this morning
* Tumors or injuries <<< N/A
* Unable to hold head up when at rest <<< head is held up most of the time

am i cruel keeping her going while shes clearly not breathing well but seems happy and intested in life.. im so torn :cry::cry::cry::cry:

last night she gave me a thorough grooming but she coughed a few times, she did put her head down for me to groom her.. but she looks frail, too old for a 2 year old

From the list, you are just describing a less-than-healthy bun, but in no way a bun in the final stages or in severe distress. If she holds her head up, or sits upright rather than lying flat, thats just to keep oxygen and fluid where it should be - its like when you have a cold and can't lie on your back in bed, but you can still sleep in another position. If she still beats Alvin up, grooms and binkies then she's doing ok.

You've got great instincts and are very observant and caring, so when the time comes you will know, and she'll probably deteriorate quite slowly so you'll see it coming and have time to prepare yourself too. big hugs xxx

Donna I have a book somewhere that had some guidance on having a rabbit PTS, how to know when it's time, etc etc...I will try to scan the chapter for you later if it would be helpful?? I found it so valuable when I was losing Sorrel.

(although I agree with amy....you know Pearl so well that when it's time, you will know) x

From the list, you are just describing a less-than-healthy bun, but in no way a bun in the final stages or in severe distress. If she holds her head up, or sits upright rather than lying flat, thats just to keep oxygen and fluid where it should be - its like when you have a cold and can't lie on your back in bed, but you can still sleep in another position. If she still beats Alvin up, grooms and binkies then she's doing ok.

You've got great instincts and are very observant and caring, so when the time comes you will know, and she'll probably deteriorate quite slowly so you'll see it coming and have time to prepare yourself too. big hugs xxx

i hope your right i really do, i hate to see her cough and get out of breath so easily and it leave me usnusre how close she is.. i hate to think of her suffering while i sleep and i find her in the morning, but at the same time i want her to choose her time to save the ordeal of the vet doing it :? its just one big jumble of emotions, ive never had another living soul so dependant on just me.. its really scary :?

Donna I have a book somewhere that had some guidance on having a rabbit PTS, how to know when it's time, etc etc...I will try to scan the chapter for you later if it would be helpful?? I found it so valuable when I was losing Sorrel.

(although I agree with amy....you know Pearl so well that when it's time, you will know) x

please if you dont mind.. the stuff i found online seemed aimed at dogs and how they deteriorate. couldnt find a rabbit one

I think you are only seeing a bit of discomfort in Pearl at the moment. I always think there are certain things you can live with as a creature- a touch of arthritis for example, you're a bit sore, can't do some of the things you used to but you can still enjoy life.
There are then things that are unbearable, intense pain to stop you eating, for example, and this is what I see as being a marker for me- if meds don't help, the illness is terminal, the animal won't eat and, as said before, the look of life leaves their eyes- then it is time.
You will know.

you lot are great.. i always seem to be more scared of getting it wrong when Ste aint here (god knows when i became dependant on a bloke :shock:)

i got a head binky when i came in tonight, not the old running over (well she did when i grabbed pellets).. its different now, but i feel reassured (again :oops:) that shes not in pain just slightly uncomfortable

luv you gals (and few guys) :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Back