• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pootle is really poorly - head tilt

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I found Pootle collapsed this morning with her head tilting almost 180 degrees, she can't seem to control her front legs, and her eyes are flickering. I honestly thought she was dead :cry:

The vet gave her steriods, antibiotics, panacur and sub-q fluids...and I'm offering her water and syringe food every couple of hours (I've brought her into work with me in a carrier).

Can we have mega vibes please, and does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can do for her?

Hi Amy, am at work at mo so not able to post much - but if you have a look at our Wilson's thread on headtilt you'll find loads of info etc on it - warning it goes on forever :oops:

What abx is Pootle on? We started with Wilson on baytril then depocillin, but switched to Zithromax - which was the one thing that really helped him. We also put him on stemetil to help with his rolling episodes.

He's still got a very bad tilt & his down eye is facing the floor - but he lives a completely normal life now bless him :)

PM me if you want to chat further about him & I'll get back to you when I'm in from work later.

Lots & lots of vibes for Pootle to get better from this xxx

Oh no not Pootle, I have such a soft spot for her :love:

Sending tons of vibes. Sounds like you have everything covered I hope something works for her xx

Tons of vibes from me.
My Kermit had head tilt, so i know what you are going through. If she is eating and drinking then thats a great sign, just keep giving her as much as she will take.

I put rolled up towels round the sides of Kermits cage, it have him support and stopped him rolling so much.

You are in for a long slog here, but its definately worth it when they come out the other side.....Kermit took weeks to be able to even stand up himself without rolling over.

Also, she might need some eye drops, as the up eye gets dry and the down eye can get dirty from being down all the time.

If you want to ask anything, feel free to pm me, ill even give you my number if you need to speak.

Good Luck xx

i have been there so i know how worried you must be. Hang in there..sounds like you have done everything needed. Headtilt can be a long illness so you need to be patient.
www.onthewonk.co.uk is a fanatastic support group for headtilt bunnies..they helped me a lot!! they will be able to give you all the help you need.

We also put him on stemetil to help with his rolling episodes.

Sending vibes for Pootle x

One of my buns suddenly developed a head tilt, rolling over, flickering eyes etc. Vets put her on Baytril and she had 2 steroid injections, after posting here for help there were a few recommendations from a few members here (thank you once again!), and we asked our vet about Stemetil and they agreed to try. There seemed like only a tiny improvement then suddenly she stopped rolling and bounced back.

It's a human drug and the doseage would need to be worked out for Pootle's weight but I would certainly ask for some, I thought we would lose Bunicula but it made a huge difference and she's back to normal, no head tilt.

Lots of vibes for Pootle.

My little Walter had a head tilt which has (hopefully) completely gone now. He was on baytril for a few weeks, but Depocillin injections for 3months finally cleared it all up so thankfully we didn't have to progress onto anything else.

Back