• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is £150 too much for a spay?

AilsaDS

Warren Scout
My vet quoted me £150... they're great vets & rabbit savvy & it does include a follow-on appt but it seems like a lot..

I don't need to make any decisions yet but I'm wondering if I should shop around as I know of another 2 vets in York that are great with buns too.

The actual price isn't an issue & I know a spay is more expensive than a neuter but I want to make sure I'm not being over-charged.

:shock:

how big is your rabbit? a giant will require more anesthetic than a dwarf breed which will increase the cost of a spay but that does seem a lot of money:?
£70/80 seems about average around our area.

:shock: It does vary a lot but that seems very high. Our vet charges about half of that.

I'd die of shock if I was charged that! I pay £50 for a spay at my vets.

ETA that does include meds and as many follow ups as the vet sees necessary :wave:

Last edited:
mine quoted £85 but actually charged £104, plus meds to take home plus countless (and i really did lose count) follow up visits, only two of which were not charged for. so overall, if you pay only £150 and don't have lots of extras, i don't think its too bad. check if pain relief to go home with is included in the cost.

Good point, pain relief is usually extra so I'll find out what's included.

I was asking for the lil bun that i'm bringing home soon, she's a mini lop so not huge :)

Bloomin Heck:shock: I paid around £50 for Doona, my French Lop, and that included the follow up appointments.

My vets charge just over £60 which includes pain relief for the day, then around £7 for extra metacam to take home.

ours used to be 65 gone up to around 90 now and i know mums savvy vet was 120 for a spay so if they have gone up then 150 may be more like it... i would find out about the other vets but at the end of the day you should only go with a cheaper one if you trust them with your buns as much as the other people. otherwise fork it out it only gets done once and it does save their lives, x

If they are great with rabbits I would definately pay it. It's a one off cost and is quite a major operation for a girl. If you think they are the best in your area then stick with them.

My vet charges around £130 but is very rabbit savvy so I'm ok with that. I'd go with them if you trust them, after a spay is not the time to find out if your vet is good or not :)

I was quoted £90....by my un-savvy vet....(just wanted to know the comparison) and £80 from my rabbit savvy one.....how ridiculous! (That's including everything)

not sure what a spey is at our vets but presume it would of gone up alot since rosie was done 7years ago at £65

locksley was neutered yesterday it would of been £80 but because im on healthy pet club it was £73 roughly, that included pain relief, fibreplex and a check up on thursday

No Buu's was about £150 and Scarlett's was about £170, although that was a couple of years ago so might have gone up now but its a fairly normal price where I am so :)

Both included pain relief and I did not have to pay for their follow up appointments

Last edited:
Back