• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit muttering/sounding like guinea pig

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Just wondering what this noise is and means. Ralph is constantly muttering and clucking, mainly when there's food around and he's eating it, and especially when my hand gets close to the food he's eating, or if Ruby joins him while he's eating. It's such a hard sound to describe but it sounds like a guinea pig "brrrr brrrr" sound and it escalates as my hand gets closer to the food, or if I'm rearranging their hutch.

It's not a scream/squeal pain or fear sound, it's just very muttery and protesting. Is that an aggression thing or a territory thing? And if so, what's it called?

Ah! Ollie was doing this after his dental. I thought it was pain so i asked the nurse. She said it could well be pocessiveness over food as he was eating fine and that he felt that me or Amber would take it away and to try feeding him on his own.

I tried it and it worked. He still is making little grunting sounds but not so much.

That must be it! It's such a hard sound to describe though isn't it? It's like a bubbly, muttery sound. But for Ralph it's always around food. I wonder why Ollie started doing it after his dental rather than at other times? Does he still do it now?

Ruby used to do it before her spay and during their bond. Every time Ralph used to come near her she used to mutter and put her head down, then run away, stamp and do another little mutter! So strange..

Stew does it when she's feeling a little....how can i put it 'frisky' :roll:
Dumpling usually gets hidden somewhere at this point!

I think rabbit's can make a variety of different noises. I have some who chunter, luck, squawk, oink, grunt, squeak, all sorts, and all for different things (fear, excitement, hornyness, displeasure, a warning, etc).

If mine was doing this I might look at it being excitement, or, like has already been said, possessiveness over the food.

Vocal bunnies are awesome :D It's nice to hold a conversation, even if its a bit diverse.

esme's not as vocal as she was - good job my pigs are indoors for the winter or i'd have no one to talk to:lol:

Back