• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Bunnies are really upset with me

Bundinki

Warren Scout
I have been giving my bunnies, Alfie & Amber their Panacur 10% oral medicine for the past 5 days and they are now getting really upset with me :oops:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a less traumatic way to give them it, as I have been giving them their medicine by tucking them inbetween my legs when I'm knelt down, and gently giving it from the side of their mouth as quickly as possible !!:shock:

They are really not happy bunnies at present, even when I go near them to give them some carrot, romaine lettuce, spring green, broccoli or evern their oats or burns dandelion or naturals jerusalem artichoke as their treat, they just jump away as fast as possible & thump. I really don't know how I'm gonna cope for another 23 days :oops::oops::shock:, or them for that matter. To make things worse Amber has only 3 legs and is very timid/shy anyway & HATES being touched or picked up-which I try to do as little as possible. I'm just afraid the hard work I've put in with them will be undone by having to Panacur them. I guess I'm just gonna have to persevere, as I know it's for their own good, but it's just really upsetting to see them getting so stressed out:cry:

You can try mashing it into food, but then you need to make sure they eat all the food. I had to give my Vin a course of panacur and she was a right grump, now she's done I gave her a couple of days and she's her cheery self. Don't feel bad about it, you know it's for their own good. :)

I get a carrot, use a corkscrew to put small holes into it and fill the holes with panacur. Separate the buns for 2 minutes and let them eat a carrot (or half depending on their size) each and then they have had their medicine. Works a charm :thumb:

i just squeeze mine onto a fav veg or strong smelling herb just before dinner time so i know they are hungry, and they wolf it down, smear it on a bit first as sometimes the blob will just slide orf.

sometimes its better to see if your buns with take there meds by themselves first before making them take it, i think i have been very lucky with my buns as ive never had to really force feed any of my buns meds

(i just squeeze mine onto a fav veg or strong smelling herb just before dinner time so i know they are hungry, and they wolf it down, smear it on a bit first as sometimes the blob will just slide orf.)

(I get a carrot, use a corkscrew to put small holes into it and fill the holes with panacur. Separate the buns for 2 minutes and let them eat a carrot (or half depending on their size) each )

(You can try mashing it into food, but then you need to make sure they eat all the food.n they have had their medicine. Works a charm )

Thanks guys, will give these a go, only thing is Amber is such a fussy eater...never known a bun like it before, she is real timid, but so beautiful and shy. I'll try & see if these work instead, less trauma all round :lol: She is a poor eater, will only nibble tiny amounts, her poos are very small and crinkled, but have always been like this and NEVER seen her drink water. in fact got so worried the other day I was givign her 3-4 mls of boiled cooled water just to make sure she was drinking . My OH thinks I'm going neurotic with the bunnies at the mo
X

Try to hold them down firmly but not too much while they are on the floor without the between the legs bit!
Then quickly into side of mouth followed by a treat of their favourite food
Best way to make sure each bun is getting the med.

Re the not drinking..if she is eating lots of juicy veg then she may well be getting all the moisture she needs from that..but keep an eye that she is weeing normally and that her poos are not small and/or hard

Was hoping you would see this Jill.... Her poos have always been very small, but over the past few days they have been really tiny, and crinkled on the outside.. (not sure if that makes sense?) but she is eating, however will only take little bits, of this & that, she is so timid still, she just hates being touched, on a morning when we go in the kitchen both of them will come over to the fridge for a green leaf/piece of carrot but Alfie cobbles his up & then snatches hers, even if I give him a bigger piece,( I have had to resort to policing veggie times, and stop him from eating hers, problem is at the mo if I get too close she stops eating -this is since the panacuring thats why Im wondering if I have really upset her ) :cry:

His poops are huge like giant chocolate covered raisins/peanuts from revels so can easily distinguish the 2

I've never known one bunny be sooo greedy & one soo picky. She is peeing fine, moving sbout as normal & behaving as normal, but more jumpy since i started giving the panacur- I think I have really peed her off:oops:

I'm struggling too, on day 3 and my buns run from me already :cry: meany panacur and meany mummy
might try it in a small amount of porridge?

if her poos are tiny and hard she ought to see a vet as this is a sign her digestion isn't working and/or she is dehydrated
She made need a gut stimulent and some fluid therapy..but needs to be checked for a blockage or teeth spurs first

If she gets checked and is ok..then you could try mashing some of her pellets into some porridge for her as will help get fibre into her..adding probitics to her water may help but only if she drinks some of course:?
Be careful syringing water if bun struggles as it is easy to choke them
or add Critical Care to porridge as that will have some probiotics in it too

Keep us posted

Back