• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny Barry

sophiew

Young Bun
Hi All

I am new here, and this is the rabbit that entered my life yesterday!

All I know about him is that he is a buck, I don't think he's fully grown, he seems healthy and friendly. I am a guinea pig person, so he's my first rabbit and I'm here to find out more about them. I used to work in a large rescue (all animals) so know about their general care.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Any help with breed / colour etc appreciated!

Thank you

Sophie
x

:wave: he is lovely, I would say a lionhead possibly cross can't really judge his size very well and I think the colour is marbled agouti possibly - probably completely wrong, I am no expert just wanted to have a go really:lol:, some really knowledgeable people on here though so I am sure you will get to the bottom of it, he's adorable whatever he is anyway, hope you enjoy the forum and your new arrival :love:

Hes gorgeous :love::love: Hes definately crossed with a lionhead :) Dont know about his colour, hes beautiful whatever he is :love:

When he goes for his myxi jab at the vets, the vet may be able to give you an idea of age :) xXx

Hi Sophie,

Nice to see you over here, I would go for a lionhead cross too, he is a lovely looking bunny.

Hello and Weslcome :wave:

He is just :love: OMG *squeal* A lion head cross definatly!

Hi Sophie,

Nice to see you over here, I would go for a lionhead cross too, he is a lovely looking bunny.

Hi Vicky!

Good to see you! Brigadier Barrington (Barry to his friends!) is settling in really well and is pleased to know he's a lionhead X!

Sophie
x

Awe he's lovely :D when you say he 'entered your life' sounds like he was unexpected is there a story behind this gorgeous bunster?

Awe he's lovely :D when you say he 'entered your life' sounds like he was unexpected is there a story behind this gorgeous bunster?

There is a story -but I wasn't sure if it would be well received!

I run a guinea pig rescue and was at a small animal auction yesterday, try to go periodically to keep an eye on things. Anyway, yesterday it was full of rabbits, and no-one wanted this little guy - they held him up and not a single bid, so I paid £2 and took him home in a box... so, not planned, I've never had a rabbit before... bought a box of assorted guineas home too, not in a good way poor things.

I thought if I couldn't keep him (I have allergies) then at least I could find him a damn good home. But I've fallen for him!

Sophie
x

Hi Sophie, nice to see you here! There's loads of people you'll recognise.

Barry is gorgeous, he's so lucky to have been picked up by someone who cares. :love:

Hi Sophie, nice to see you here! There's loads of people you'll recognise.

Barry is gorgeous, he's so lucky to have been picked up by someone who cares. :love:

Hi Laura! I feel like I've gone over to the dark side or something, it's like a parallel universe! :lol:

Have already found out I'm feeding him too much :cry: so have gone and removed some of his food!

Sophie
x

I'd be the same. It feels so strange starting out with a new animal when you're so clued up on another. You'll get the hang of it!

Meanwhile, I must resist temptation. Much as I'd love a bunny, I'll just sit back and admire everyone elses and do my research then at some point in the future I'll be in a position to venture into bunnydom. :D

There is a story -but I wasn't sure if it would be well received!

I run a guinea pig rescue and was at a small animal auction yesterday, try to go periodically to keep an eye on things. Anyway, yesterday it was full of rabbits, and no-one wanted this little guy - they held him up and not a single bid, so I paid £2 and took him home in a box... so, not planned, I've never had a rabbit before... bought a box of assorted guineas home too, not in a good way poor things.

I thought if I couldn't keep him (I have allergies) then at least I could find him a damn good home. But I've fallen for him!

Sophie
x

Small animal auction :shock: I didn't know they still did things like that! Apparently my dad used to breed and sell bunnies at a local animal auction when he was a boy!! and I never even knew he owned a rabbit till I got mine!! It's strange how furries pick you subconsciously I think they send telepathic vibes!! He's gorgeous bun I can't believe no one wanted him he was clearly meant to be for you!!

Congrats! He looks lovely! :love:

I love the name 'Barry' too, lol. Welcome to the forum.

We've not our first rabbit very long ourselves! We've fallen head-over-heels in love with him already - they do get to you like that! :D xxx

Hi Sophie, Barry is gorgeous, I have a real soft spot for Lionheads - I've got a little lionhead X staying with me at the moment. Nice to see you (and Laura :wave:) on RU. Sandra x

Hi Sandra! :wave: :wave:

Brigadier Barrington has been indoors today for some floor time and some doggy intros - he's a good boy and quite forward going (needs to be in this house!). The puppy grew up with bunnies so she seems to remember they are friends not food!

Sophie
x

Hi Sandra! :wave: :wave:

Brigadier Barrington has been indoors today for some floor time and some doggy intros - he's a good boy and quite forward going (needs to be in this house!). The puppy grew up with bunnies so she seems to remember they are friends not food!

Sophie
x

good start he is a gorgeous lionhead cross well done on getting him a good home with you i shudder to think of small animal auctions...i dont think i could bear to go..my car would come back laden with animals....

anyway basices to rabbit care dont know what you do or dont know but here are my top tips!
neuter your bunny- they love company ideally bond with another rabbit though single house bunnys are ok they do rpefer company,(if bonding research its not as easy as it seems) this also stops aggression when they hit puberty and stops humping and of course the dreaded spraying!!

lots of space!
people stil lcontinue to keep rabbits in tiny acocmodations ideally free range in house(or at least a room) for an indoors bun but some pens are big enough..... minimum of 48sq ft is the norm,
hay hay and more hay this will stop dental problems or at least reduce them 85% of diet is hay
toys-dont be fooled by the expensive ones you can buy they can be made easily tunnels, cardboard boxes, digging boxes, string home made kabobs etc...flower pots adn keys all bunny top favourites and not forgetting teh inners of loo rolls
!vaccinationvhd annually and myxi every 6 months
egg cup of pellets(over 16%fibre) in morn and night and veg in evening
dietry changes dontdo any dietry changes in very small increments
know your bunny illnesses and symptoms ranges from gut stasis, nodular myxi, bloat, respiritory problems, mites, ec etc
love thy bunny.. by far the most important one!!!!! :):)
good luck and enjoy him barry is a sweetie! x

Back