• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do REWs often have sight problems?

crysta

Alpha Buck
Yuki seems to have difficulty seeing things until they're very close to him, and if I let him hop around he scans a heck of a lot - I'm wondering if he's partially sighted. He's definitely not blind, but he seems to have some kind of difficulty.

His hearing's ace though - I whistle and he hops across the room to me. :lol:

Is it common in REWs for there to be difficulty seeing? Or is it just Yuki?

Belle scans, but she does seem to hear me coming, and runs in the opposite direction :lol: I have never seen Belle bump into things, but she can have difficulty locating treats from my hand as they are small, he nose does most of the work. And Sophie does too, which scared me at the time, as I had never seen it before. Sophie's litter had 2 REW's.

In answer to your question, Yes REW do have difficulties with vision, however, it varies from bun to bun

Nope...I asked the same sort of questions about Lily Shane....
REWS are like this.......so no worries!!:wave:

it is common for red eyed animals to have sight problems.and scanning is a sign
Aslong as he is otherwise healthy it shouldn't bother him
If his sight is very poor you may find its best to leave his area same all the time..not move things about as may worry him more than most.
and talk to him as you approach as he may not see you coming so can scare short sighted animals more
Sometimes they can be more defensive due to feeling more vulnerable but most of the ones we've had through the rescue with SSight have been lovely natured

from what ive watched, it looks like they are scanning the outlines of object before running around like a loon, i moved a laundry bin once and jim ran into it, i felt so guilty,

not all but a lot do, and they adapt quite well to it :D

He's perfectly happy so I don't think it's bothering him, just I scared the bejeesus out of the poor boy last night putting some veg in - he tripped over it!

He's still gorgeous, either way. :love:

I call to Lily and we natter alot....she runs in circles round me...not seen her bump into things...but all bunnies vary i guess.

I call to Lily and we natter alot....she runs in circles round me...not seen her bump into things...but all bunnies vary i guess.

:lol: Someone else with a talky bunny? Yuki squeaks and grunts across the room to me. Hope and Faith just ignore me most of the time. :roll:

Yuki's squeaking at me while he washes his ears at the moment.:lol:

:lol: Someone else with a talky bunny? Yuki squeaks and grunts across the room to me. Hope and Faith just ignore me most of the time. :roll:

Yuki's squeaking at me while he washes his ears at the moment.:lol:

Its mostly snorts..(shes chronic snuffles) and facial expressions!!:roll::shock::?

Yup, and it can also be seen with those bunnies who have REW in their genetics too, such as sables.

I would just suggest keep up a lot of chatter whenever you are in hearing distance so he can hear you and know where you are. Hopefully his sense of smell will improve and he won't have any more vege traumas. Poor chap. :lol:

Back