• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

extra cecals

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
tried searching on the forum but couldn't find anything. i think teddy has been producing extra cecals lately. i've cut out veg and given less pellets in the morning even though they don't get that many pellets but she still seems to producing extra cecals. i know this usually means that their diet is too rich but i really don't know what else to cut out as they don't get anything more than their veg, pellets and hay. she's eating really well and her tummy is nice and soft. don't know what else to do but just keep them off the veg for another week and see if it does eventually calm down. :?

It can also be an indication they don't feel 100% either mentally or physically, for some reason. So I would keep an eye out for that. If she has a partner then it may be spring has struck her partner and she doesn't feel wonderful because of it, or she could be depressed for some other reason, or feeling physically bad.

Has anything changed for her recently? Maybe around the time it started? Was she vaccinated recently?

It might be worth maybe cutting everything but hay for a couple of days and in those days give probiotics too and then gradually increase the pellets until you get to an amount you are happy with or an amount her tummy is happy with.

I had to do this last year with Sandy after her myxi jab, and I did it on the advice of a forum member here and it worked a treat. If you find it is her feeling abd for whatever reason the obviously you need to fix that issue primarily because excess cecals is a symptom of some other issue and should settle when that issue is sorted.

i didn't seem them just as much last week as i usually do for i had to do alot of travelling last week. so unless she's just been missing me as she's very attached to me. i'll get her some probiotic at lunch, never thought about that, it may help her. theo hasn't really been annoying her for i was watching their behaviour last night just incase. thanks sky-o. my wee babe, don't like seeing her not right.

It's possible that a shift in routine (such as you travelling more) could unsettle the more sensitive bunnies, or those super bonded to the person, so you could easily be right with that. I would still keep an eye though. Rabbits are so hard sometimes!

i know theyare so tricky, their very good liars about their health. rascal. hopefully the probiotic will settle her tum and i shouldn't be travelling as much this month.

Back