• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Orkids?

Isis

Mama Doe
Are they safe for rabbits to eat? I have about 6 orkids in my bedroom, one of them is loosing their flowers and I found one on my bedroom floor, which thankfully wasn't nibbled. Does anyone know if he did manage to eat one, would it be safe to eat a bit?

I had a baby bunny last year who nibbled on an orchid leaf...he went on to develop stasis/bloat and died despite our best efforts to save him.

My vet couldn't find anything to say orchid leaves are poisonous to bunnies but it was one heck of a coincidence .

flowers/orchids

Are they safe for rabbits to eat? I have about 6 orkids in my bedroom, one of them is loosing their flowers and I found one on my bedroom floor, which thankfully wasn't nibbled. Does anyone know if he did manage to eat one, would it be safe to eat a bit?

you can get a safe plant/vegy-or-unsafe list from house of rabbit society or adopt a rabbit society or rabbit secrets..sincerely james waller/i don,t see that flower on the unsafe list but you might google each website just for peace of mind:love::wave:

orchid flower

I had a baby bunny last year who nibbled on an orchid leaf...he went on to develop stasis/bloat and died despite our best efforts to save him.

My vet couldn't find anything to say orchid leaves are poisonous to bunnies but it was one heck of a coincidence .

sorry to hear about your bun:cry:,i am curious because i too did not find it listed on the unsafe list either...sincerely james waller

sorry to hear about your bun:cry:,i am curious because i too did not find it listed on the unsafe list either...sincerely james waller

It may have been that it just upset his digestive system being as he was only 10 weeks old ,as we all know new 'foods' can do that, but I know I'd never have an orchid in the same room as bunnies now.

Ziggy had managed to jump on to a windowsill and nibble mine and I'd thought it was quite safe there.

though i cant find anything on the safe or non safe list, i personaly would say no to be on the safe side.

I'm just going by the way they grow, they thrive on fungi and hook there roots in the strangest of places, have a nose on here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchidaceae
ive been to the orchid gardens in singapore, its absolutly gorrrrrrrrrgous, though i have just learnt reading at the bottom some flowers are used for flavourings, learn summin new everyday :D

buns do have a habit of eating/nibbling things they shouldnt, so i would of thought a crafty nibble isnt a killer, just be on the safe side with them :D

although we eat certain bits of certain orchids (vanilla springs to mind) I wouldn't risk it if you can't find it on a safe list.

Back