• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sneezing help.... Spoke to the vet - he says teeth. U/D post 6 - PLEASE HELP.

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi

This evening my Gummy house bunny earl has started sneezing. He has done it about 5 or 6 times in about 45 minutes

I have felt his nose and its ok- just the usual bunny nose condensation. He seems his normal self and is eating like a horse (as usual) .

I know they can just have an irritation- like humans- and expect he will be fine in the morning.

Could someone please let me know what this sneezing could possibly be- and what other warning signs I should look out for- and if he is ill- how quickly will I notice him going down hill...

His breathing seems ok- but maybe a little quick- not sure if that is my imagination though. I cant hear any wheezing etc.

He does not have contact with other bunnies but we do wear our shoes into the house from time to time.:oops:

We swapped his hay yesterday but it is nice dust free english hay off pampered piggies and it is not damp. He has had it before so dont think its that.

Is it just a fluke? PLease help. Im worried:cry:

Thanks- I have seen many threads in this subject but none describing these circumstances.

Jemma :cry::cry::(:(

Last edited:
I'm not the best one to answer this, but I'll tell you what I know from my own experience! :)

Bunnies can get stuff jammed up their nose that causes irritation, like hay. Could just be a little irritant like that and bunny sneezed it out.

Do his lungs sound clear? Does he grunt or make noises when breathing heavily? The lack of discharge is a good sign, but is there anything else that's off?

Otherwise, my bunnies have had sneezing fits at random before with nothing ill coming of it. I would keep a close eye for a few days and watch for more sneezing fits, but no need to panic yet. :) Bunnies live to worry us. :lol:

ETA: Just to add, you would want to be concerned if he stopped eating or stopped pooing. (Or if you see signs of this like eating less or smaller poos.) As long as Earl is eating like a horse and seems his normal self, I wouldn't think much of it. :)

Last edited:
My rainbows currenty on a 2 week course of baytril because he keeps sneezing. The vet said some buns are carriers of snuffles and stress can bring it out, and she thinks that's what it is, not full blown pasturella. Rainbows fine in every other way apart from the sneezing, so if he keeps doing it, get him checked out at the vet, but if it stops I wouldn't worry :)

sneezing

Hi

This evening my Gummy house bunny earl has started sneezing. He has done it about 5 or 6 times in about 45 minutes

I have felt his nose and its ok- just the usual bunny nose condensation. He seems his normal self and is eating like a horse (as usual) .

I know they can just have an irritation- like humans- and expect he will be fine in the morning.

Could someone please let me know what this sneezing could possibly be- and what other warning signs I should look out for- and if he is ill- how quickly will I notice him going down hill...

His breathing seems ok- but maybe a little quick- not sure if that is my imagination though. I cant hear any wheezing etc.

He does not have contact with other bunnies but we do wear our shoes into the house from time to time.:oops:

We swapped his hay yesterday but it is nice dust free english hay off pampered piggies and it is not damp. He has had it before so dont think its that.

Is it just a fluke? PLease help. Im worried:cry:

Thanks- I have seen many threads in this subject but none describing these circumstances.

Jemma :cry::cry::(:(
a nasal culture is needed by a comptent lagamorph dvm,,our rabbit did the same thing months ago,/.nasal culture showed an upper respiratorial infection called enterococcus,,antibotic/sulfatrim was administered,,and he is all better..sincerely james waller:wave:

pasturella aka/snuffles

My rainbows currenty on a 2 week course of baytril because he keeps sneezing. The vet said some buns are carriers of snuffles and stress can bring it out, and she thinks that's what it is, not full blown pasturella. Rainbows fine in every other way apart from the sneezing, so if he keeps doing it, get him checked out at the vet, but if it stops I wouldn't worry :)
all rabbits carry this bacteria,,it flares up when the rabbit is distressed,,a good diet of hay,water,some pellets-keeps the immune system in check,,thus supressing the harmful bacteria.//.one could think of a-bacterial imbalance in the-rabbits eco system--a nasal culture will identify the culprit soas proper antibiotics can be administered,,you are invited to check out my website http://jewaller.webs.com --sincerely james waller...there a post on myxi also..

Been to the vets today with Theo and Cleo and mentioned to the vet (who seemed really rabbit saavy) that Earl was sneezing.

He said it is unlikely to be an allergy because of the fact it has just started and his environment hasnt changed.

He think that because he has no front teeth- that his molars may have something wrong with them. And that the roots may have irritated his sinus.

Is this possible'?

He has asked me to take him in for a consult and that he may need an X-Ray .

What is involved in an Xray? Is their risk? and How much are they (aprox)

Do you think he could be right? that Earl may have root problems or an absess?

I dont know if it is linked but he wont come near me any more to be stroked. My OH says he still goes to him - but he just wont come near me and if I try to stroke him he runs off. This is so unusual. Most of the time he is always under our feet wanting to be stroked

Answers in red font :)

Been to the vets today with Theo and Cleo and mentioned to the vet (who seemed really rabbit saavy) that Earl was sneezing.

He said it is unlikely to be an allergy because of the fact it has just started and his environment hasnt changed.

He think that because he has no front teeth- that his molars may have something wrong with them. And that the roots may have irritated his sinus.

Is this possible'? Yes, definately

He has asked me to take him in for a consult and that he may need an X-Ray .

What is involved in an Xray? Is their risk? and How much are they (aprox)

The skull Xrays will need to be done under GA. All Vets prices vary so you'd need to get a specific quote from the Vet you use. At a guesstimate I'd say you are looking at £100-£150

Do you think he could be right? that Earl may have root problems or an absess?

Tooth root elongation is a common problem in Dental Rabbits. The sooner it is identified (by Xray) the better as it is important to try to minimise the rate of progression of root elongation. This involves keeping the crowns of the molars short -ie usually regular Dentals under GA.

:wave:

Travis is my dental bun, and I count myself very lucky that he sneezes when his teeth are due to be done again! It's his own little way of letting me know.

Once he starts sneezing, I know he can usually go another 2 weeks or so before needing a dental. I take him to my vet, she checks his teeth - without an x ray and /or sedation. The spurs are very evident - she's shown them to me before.

Then he usually goes in the following day to have them burred.

Travis has had 5-7 molars removed in the past, some due to them being wobbly, and some due to them growing quicker than the rest and causing bigger problems.

I asked for an x ray once a few years ago to see if it could shed any light on any damaged roots / teeth that could indicate teeth to be removed that would help. But it didn't really show us anything that was of much use.

Please don't be disheartened if it is due to dental problems. Some people have no idea it's coming until their buns stop eating - which then makes it a stressful race against time to sort out. At least the sneezing - fairly harmless too - is just a little warning signal that it'll be time for a dental soon, and to keep a closer eye on them.

thank you, thats extremely helpful... :)

How often do you normally have to have them done and how much does it cost you?

I think if Im spending much more than £50 per month on vets alone it will be a struggle :cry:

It does really depend on how quickly their teeth grow back. Vets vary but I would think between £70 to £100 for that sort of dental :)

Sorry for the late reply. Travis varies, the worst it's been was 1 month apart, the most was 4-5 months. I'd say it averages 12 weeks. Speak to your vets, if it will become a regular occurance then they may make allowances for you. all of Travis' dental related consultations are free. I pay £30.00 for the dental then there's the cost of meds on top of that - ie pain relief etc. Usually comes to around £50. Which sounds like a lot in one go, but every 3 months works out a lot less if you put a little aside per month for it.

Just out of curiosity, has Earl continued to sneeze since the time you mentioned, or was it just the one event? I would just be a bit hesitant to jump to dentals if it was one isolated event and he's eating and pooing just fine. :?

(Although, as Jane said, it is better to catch dental issues early.)

Just out of curiosity, has Earl continued to sneeze since the time you mentioned, or was it just the one event? I would just be a bit hesitant to jump to dentals if it was one isolated event and he's eating and pooing just fine. :?

(Although, as Jane said, it is better to catch dental issues early.)

He is still sneezing occasionaly, once or twice a day that I notice, thinking maybe its the new air freshener so I moved it just.

Have been to the vets today, he said his teeth look ok. they arent great but its very minor. He said to see how it goes and if we see a discharge from the eyes or nose then bring him back.

So we are 'seeing'

thanks all

Back