• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of bring Blanket indoors...

louise.storrar

Warren Scout
My nethie is a little doll...when he's in he doesn't chew the carpets or furniture...he uses his litter tray religiously and just loves the attention he's been getting indoors with all this cold weather. Don't really have the space for an indoor cage but would it be ok to allow him to roam free and only have a bed and food/water bowl? Obviously keep him in one bunny safe room when I'm at work.
It seems very unusual as all of my animals have always had hutches or cages. But I am seriously considering it. Think he would get so much more free space!

Does anyone else do this?

Hello!

We allow our little nethie to roam free in (our) his living room. He is out all day and night and has a 3ft indoor cage for eating/drinking (and other less savoury activities). He is very good and doesnt chew, and is improving his toiletry habits now he has been neutered.

I would recommend it, he loves being out all day and if anything makes him even more cuddly. He even hops up onto the sofa for cuddles, and to steal peas off our dinner plates!

Exellent...thought I was going mad. I'd love to bring all 3 in eventually but since the bonding process is not going well...it may be some time lol

Plus the other two have loads of space out there. It's just blanket who has the smaller enclosure outside as he was supposed to be going into the big one with them if the bonding went well.

It is very early stages at the moment so hopefully they will be bonded eventually! I just feel so sorry for him out there on his own too! Maybe I am too soft! lol

Louie doesn't have a cage and we leave him in the kitchen/conservatory when we are out and in bed.

Works really well for us :D

Fred sleeps behind the curtains (even though he has a number of beds) and gets very excited when we come in and runs over to us. Hes a much happier bun being out and about exploring the world rather than watching it from behind bars.

what's a cage?

only joking. eric had a cage for all of 2 months just for bedtime but i hated locking him away as he was as good as gold so i made sure my bunny proofing was sufficient and removed the cage bars, leaving the cage base as his 'den'. now he just has his litter tray, dog bed, water bowl, food dishes and numerous tunnels and chewy things scattered about.

esme has always been free range (since i adopted her). the kitchen and dining area is essie's pad - we don't use the dining table as i've turned it into a giant tent/play den for her:oops:

in all honesty, now i've observed my 2 being free range 24/7, i couldn't have a cage at all:D

If he's on his own, bringing him in is a good option.

Oscar has a 4ft dog crate in the conservatory, but only goes in there to eat and toilet, I leave it open all the time.

He had been really good and not chewed anything, but last week I came home to a wrecked sofa, which I have now guarded (bit late I know:roll:), so I'd say if you do it, be better prepared than me and don't expect them to be a saint:lol:

I have 3 indoor buns and only one is caged. Snowdrop has a dog crate in our room for her litter tray and hay but its never closed, Strawberry has a bunny proofed room and Bungle has a puppy pen cage downstairs. Strawberry is a chewer so we had to totally bunny proof his room but Snowdrop isnt a problem in our room.

my two indoor buns Charlie and Olly have a 36" dog crate as a litter tray but free range my room :)
I just put nic cubes around things I didn't want them to touch.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I might go for it! Wonder if he will ever go to sleep tonight though. He's hopping around my room mad right now! lol

Back