• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Gates

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone recommend a baby gate? It needs to be extra tall so probably a pet/dog gate really, have a door so it's easy to walk through and an easy open handly (the one we have at the moment you have to squeeze and lift). I've got the lidham dog gate at the moment but the handle is falling apart and it's a pig to open.

Can you remember which version it is.. they have a couple :) Scamp can jump the 75cm high one I had before but hasn't tried the 100cm one (yet!).

Hi Tasmin I am also on the look out for a baby gate to stop access to our hall way, I am petrified someone is going to open the front door and Jims will run out.
I have bee searching online and have found a few...

http://www.babyage.com/evenflo/2470/evenflo_position_and_lock_gate.htm

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-31251

http://www.shoppingbank.com/sb/pia/pid/9835884?afid=105749&coid=01085D3EFC3A584B9A857E41987327CA

http://www.csnbaby.com/asp/superbrowse.asp?clid=682&caid=&sku=SFT1037&refid=DT51-SFT1037

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/products/product_tests/safety_gates/full.asp#bettacare

I dont know if any of these would be suitable, what do you think?

Last edited:
I am petrified someone is going to open the front door and Jims will run out.

Me too, Scamp snuck out twice when he was little so now I'm paranoid about there being at least one shut door between him and an open one.

The Bettacare one might work for Scamp. I wish websites were a bit more detailed on the locking/opening mechanism. Ours goes across the kitchen so needs to be something you can open easily with your hands full.

In general I'd avoid wood/fabric because of chewing. Not sure about the auto close one, unless it's very slow I can see noses/paws getting knocked.

Scamp can also walk through the bars of both the ones I've had so had to cover them in mesh so that solid one looks good. He's very small though so might not be an issue for a bigger bunny. I'm not sure how much of a gap you get to walk through on that one as it looks like the panels slide and overlap instead of it being a gate.

That's basically what I had first: 'Metal Walk Thru Dog Gate' and was great except Scamp jumped it.. not all buns are as troublesome as him though. :lol:

http://www.csnbaby.com/asp/superbrowse.asp?clid=682&caid=&sku=SFT1037&refid=DT51-SFT1037

I have this one. I have had it for a few years and love it. It is heavy duty plastic no mesh or nothing that really sticks out to chew on. I use it in the kitchen doorway. It is very easy to remove with one hand. It has a handle that you grasp and a push button that is very easy to push in with you thumb then you just pull up on the handle. Julie scratches the semi transparent panels and wackes the gate with her paws. She is a strong rabbit. She has not managed to destroy it at all. Believe me she has tried.

How do that one work for getting through? In the picture it doesn't look like it has a door, just that it sort of slides but that would only give you a narrow gap to squeeze past?

baby gate

Can anyone recommend a baby gate? It needs to be extra tall so probably a pet/dog gate really, have a door so it's easy to walk through and an easy open handly (the one we have at the moment you have to squeeze and lift). I've got the lidham dog gate at the moment but the handle is falling apart and it's a pig to open.

hi,,tasmin/found you./rabbits online forum/.the first years is the name on my baby gate,,it separates the cat from the bedroom rabbit,,it is waist high,adjustable,spring latch at the top,see thru plastic facing,,bought it at wallmart...i think they are in gb/uk also.??..sincerely james waller:wave:

I am using the dog gate Lindam like you - and to be honest have settled with these after trialling quite a few others.

The thing I would say about some of the Bettacare etc that involve lifting the gate slightly to open it - is that after a short time they cause a real strain on your back. I am NOT a weakling (far from it!!) - but the constant small 'pull up' action strains lower back muscles.

Auto close is no good if you have a rabbit close behind you.

The plastic 'mesh' type were demolished by my rabbits.

Wood ditto.

i actually like the Lindam - though admit its a pain if you have hands full with trays (we have four of them!).

I had the standard height basic lidham and that was great opening/closing, the dog one is less easy to open though. I taped a block under the handle so it doesn't go down far enough to engage the squeeze buttons when you close it, makes it easier ;)

A bit on the closer has snapped off and it won't open properly so I thought I'd shop around. Thanks for the warning on the bettacare, maybe I'll just replace the lidham afterall.

How do that one work for getting through? In the picture it doesn't look like it has a door, just that it sort of slides but that would only give you a narrow gap to squeeze past?

See the girl in the picture. Her hand is on the handle of the gate. You can't really tell from the picture but she is pushing in a button with her thumb and she can them raise the handle. Once the handle is in the up position the gate releases and you remove it and walk through. You pick the gate up or push it out of the way. You put the gate back in the door and push down on the handle. The panels slide back and tighten in the door. Believe me it is a lot easier than it sounds. I am not very coordinated and I can do it with one hand no problem. It only takes a couple of times practice to be able to do it quick and smoothly. I like it and it is very durable. A good buy for the price.

Hi Bunnytoes, the gate you have, when you say you can lift the gate, does it still stay on the wall or does it come away and you have to put it back? Also what height is it?

Oh, I don't think that would work with Scamp :( You have to do some fancy footwork to stop him nipping through the door as it is. If the whole thing lifted he'd be under it in a flash :lol:

This is how you open my gate, in pictures! :D It's pretty similar with most.

017-8.jpg

Here it is...sitting pretty...all closed! Nobun gets passed.

018-7.jpg

Sometimes there is one button to press. On this one, you squeeze both sides. It's easily done, one handed.

019-6.jpg

Whilst squeezed, lift handle up.

020-4.jpg

Swing gate open.

021-5.jpg

To shut just close the gate, and push handle down.

Easy peasy. You can leave it so it swings both ways, or have it so it stops when it lines up.

Thank you for the pics, answered some questions :D
Do your bunnies not try to squeeze through the bars?

Thank you for the pics, answered some questions :D
Do your bunnies not try to squeeze through the bars?

......I have Frenchies...:shock: :lol:

Ruby did squeeze through when she was little, but that would be stopped with some mesh...and wouldn't impede the opening and closing of it!

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercar...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42869041&mcb=core

Jims is a dwaf lop, do you think the above one would work? I was thinking if need be I could always secure some of the NIC panels to the bars on one side so that he can not get through, which would also prevent any toes getting hurt?

So long as it fits your door that looks great! It's a tall version of mine! Really easy to open, once you get the hang of it. (I still, can only open it with my right hand...but I'm like that with all gates :oops::roll:)

You might have to mesh it...but it's a really good gate

Scamp can walk through the bars, so they are covered with mesh, this is his old baby height gate:

The dog one has a similar squeeze and lift handle but I have trouble doing it one handed :oops:

Back