• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits soaked in wee

I have a 3 year old rabbit who I have just taken to the vets because he is covered in wee constantly. It all under his belly on his paws and even above his tail on his bum. The vet gave anti biotic over a week ago but it is still happening. Hes an indoor bunny with free range access to the garden with it being winter hes in all the time on blankets ive just changed him over to vet bed in the hope of keeping him dry it has helped but not cured it....does any one have any ideas??? sorry for the long post thanks for reading Jodie x

What diagnostics has your Vet done ?

Urinalysis?
Bloods?
Abdominal Radiographs/ Ultrasound?

Is your Rabbit showing any other symptoms?

Weightloss?
Drinking alot?
Weak back legs?

Is he eating as normal ?

When you say your vet gave him an antibiotic over a week ago, do you mean your vet only gave one dose, or that he's been on antibiotics for over a week now?

What diagnostics has your Vet done ?

Urinalysis?
Bloods?
Abdominal Radiographs/ Ultrasound?

Is your Rabbit showing any other symptoms?

Weightloss?
Drinking alot?
Weak back legs?

Is he eating as normal ?

He is absolutely fine in himself no difference really...the was no diagnosis they just said try the antibiotics and see how he is... she did suggest a possible scan of his bladder but she said it feels normal??

What antibiotics did you have?

I think that a longer course would probably be needed to clear up anything.

My bun had bad urine scald, she needed a very long course of antibiotics to clear it up.

Is your buns skin inflamed from the urine?

What antibiotics did you have?

I think that a longer course would probably be needed to clear up anything.

My bun had bad urine scald, she needed a very long course of antibiotics to clear it up.

Is your buns skin inflamed from the urine?

he has 2 tiny urine scold on his hind legs...I think the antibiotics was baytril??

Baytril is good at clearing up scalding from a UTI, it might be from something else tho', but as i said, i think a longer course would be better, i think you should take bun back to the vets.

You could also put some cream on the buns legs, clean them with cooled boiled water, i usually use cotton wool. Then apply a barrier such as vaseline or use sudocream. It should help prevent the scalding hurting the bun so much.

Baytril is good at clearing up scalding from a UTI, it might be from something else tho', but as i said, i think a longer course would be better, i think you should take bun back to the vets.

You could also put some cream on the buns legs, clean them with cooled boiled water, i usually use cotton wool. Then apply a barrier such as vaseline or use sudocream. It should help prevent the scalding hurting the bun so much.

I am going to take him back just worried about him really because im desperate for what is causing him to wee all over himself i have had him 3 yrs n he has never done this before? Thank you for your advice

I would want the Vet to investigate further.
There are numerous possible causes of urinary incontinence-eg Uroliths (bladder stones) or a protozoal parasitic infection effecting his central nervous system (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi-'EC').

I would want the Vet to investigate further.
There are numerous possible causes of urinary incontinence-eg Uroliths (bladder stones) or a protozoal parasitic infection effecting his central nervous system (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi-'EC').

Do you think a scan and urine test would be a good idea a friend who works at a vets suggested these but I would feel rude asking my vet to do this?

Do you think a scan and urine test would be a good idea a friend who works at a vets suggested these but I would feel rude asking my vet to do this?

coming across as rude is more about how you say something rather than what you actually say, so don't worry about it and just ask for the vet to explore further with the tests - Remember, your paying them so they should (within reason) taking into account what you say and do as you ask. :D

To be honest I'm supprised they didn't do any tests to start with :?

I no i feel a little let down by them they assumed it was what I was feeding him then when i told them they were fine but I think with most problems they just give them antibiotics or pain killer in my experience. I just looked at him on his blanket n there alot of smeared poo ooo i just wish he would get sorted x

You shouldnt feel wrong for asking the vets anything, you are paying them!

Could you even take bun to a different vets if you dont feel happy there??

It does sound a little bit to me like they aren't very "rabbit savvy", this is just what I'm picking up from you saying that for most problems they just give antibiotics and painkillers :? then again, I don't know what previous problems you've encountered, so it could be that was the best course of action in those cases.

But in anycase contact them tomorrow first thing and have a talk about what tests can be done etc and take it from there. If they are unwilling to do anything else, then you might want to consider looking for a new vet. I'm sure there will be someone in your area that can recommend one to you :)

Sorry I just noticed, you said there is poo smeared? Is that on him, or his blanket? Do you think you could describe it? It's just there are soft poos thats normal for rabbits, and theres soft poo thats not normal - sorry if I'm being confusing.

You shouldnt feel wrong for asking the vets anything, you are paying them!

Could you even take bun to a different vets if you dont feel happy there??

Im going to book him in for wed as thats my next day off and see what they suggest n if im not happy I think I will go somewhere else...I will suggest a few things to my vets aswell thank you for all your advice

It does sound a little bit to me like they aren't very "rabbit savvy", this is just what I'm picking up from you saying that for most problems they just give antibiotics and painkillers :? then again, I don't know what previous problems you've encountered, so it could be that was the best course of action in those cases.

But in anycase contact them tomorrow first thing and have a talk about what tests can be done etc and take it from there. If they are unwilling to do anything else, then you might want to consider looking for a new vet. I'm sure there will be someone in your area that can recommend one to you :)

Sorry I just noticed, you said there is poo smeared? Is that on him, or his blanket? Do you think you could describe it? It's just there are soft poos thats normal for rabbits, and theres soft poo thats not normal - sorry if I'm being confusing.

Poo smeared on his blanket and alot of it within about an hour...there not really like the ones they eat again they are big and soft soft if that makes sense???

Awwwhh. I don't really have anything that useful to add, just that I hope bunny gets better soon. :)

I was going to ask if it's not just that he may be sleeping in his litter tray... my giant bunny has a habit of doing that and, as he's white, often has a yellow butt! :roll: I have to clean it out twice a day now to make sure he stays dry and as clean as possible. He has blankets, a rug, a bunch of boxes with hay in, but noooo, he likes to sleep in his pee. But as you said he's now a bit poopy, it does sound like there's something not quite right. :(

Don't be afraid to ask your vet to carry out more tests or try a different medicine. I've asked for many second opinions when I've been to the vets and I've never felt that the vet was annoyed by it. They'll realise that you just want what's best for your bunny. :wave:

Back