• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Bunny is trying to chew is way out

nargos

New Kit
Last night he chewed one of the side walls so much that he put a hole in it. When I cleaned him out yesterday that wall was un-chewed. It is no exaggeration to say that he would be out by tomorrow if I do not stop him.

I have brought him in and got some anti chew stuff that I have sprayed around his cage. But what do I do in the long term?

How big is your cage? It might not be big enough for him. Hes probably bored. Does he have any toys? In Wilkos they sell those mirrors that hang on the cage for birds and my buns love that!! Other toys you can get are food balls etc but I would def make sure he has enough space.........

Hi, and welcome to the site! :wave:

So your bun is trying to chew his way out? Having plenty of space is very important to a bun, as naturally they do roam a fair bit. How big is his enclosure? How much free time does he get, out from his hutch? Again a rabbit needs to run, jump and dig for several hours a day to keep them occupied, so it could be that the little guy is bored. Does he have toys and wood to chew in his hutch, and hay? Bunnies need a huge amount of hay, and munching their way through that is a good distraction from trying to escape.

Has he been neutered?. If not, that is your first port of call, I think.

I agree with the space and stimulation issue too, but some buns are just born chewers. If he is like that, then you are going to probably find he enjoys chewing the things he shouldn't. I would say maybe use mesh on the inside (be careful that he can't hurt himself on it), so that he can't get to the walls. Not ideal, but would keep him safe. Make sure that you provide a lot of other stimulating stuff to chew on though.

He has a 4.5 by 1.5 foot hutch.

He is neutered.

He always has loads of hay. (I live in Scotland)

I have not had any real luck with toys. Mind you I have only tried wood blocks previously. Other than the mirror idea which sounds grate can anyone give me some pointers.

Based on what I have just been reading I clearly have not been letting him out enough, so more time out of the hutch.

Thanks every one for the help.

Pets at home do some good toys, and they deliver, I dont know how rural you are up there! Also the hay experts and papered piggies have toys, things like Willow balls, tunnels, treat balls, wooden garlands from pets at home are great, mine like tinkily cat balls but I would be careful with plastic toys if yours chews.... stick to wooden things as well as 'woven' sisal toys (look like theyre made with rope) some rat toys are good too.

Also, if poss, a bigger hutch would be great. Buns need at least 6 foot long hutches really so they have enough space to hop around, stretch and binky. Time outside playing in a run or in the house to have a proper run around is always good too.

Oh - another toy I thought of that you should already have .... a used toilet roll!! Put some yummy food inside and fold the ends ;)

Hope you find a solution, more stimulation and more space is the easiest answer.

There are some good 6 ft hutches on Ebay sometimes, plus your local RSPCA should do them cheap too. :)

It would probably be worth looking into getting a bigger hutch and run if you can, or getting a large run and putting his hutch in it, weather proofing the lot and letting him out a lot more. I appreciate its very cold up there so potentially a shed may be a better idea.

Have you tried kabobs or anything chewable like that? Or willow rings? Maybe have a look through this site to see what's about http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/dangly_toys.htm

Also, is he is neutered, and were to get into bigger accommodation a girlfriend might also keep him nice and busy too.

That cage is quite small to be honest, have you though about attaching a nice big permanent run for him so he can have a bit of a run around all the time?

I agree that he could use some bigger accommodation, and I'm sure he'd love as much free time as possible if you can arrange that! Do you have a shed you could convert to a bunny haven? They're brill! Also, if you can get him bigger 'digs' I bet he'd love a spayed girlfriend to keep him company - if you check out your local rescues you're bound to find one already spayed and vaccinated, which will save you money, and they'll often take care of the bonding for you too. :)

Back