• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fingers crossed for Flower please

fluffyfred

Alpha Buck
I've just had to take one of my lops to the vet as I noticed she hadn't eaten since at least 10 this morning, possibly longer.

There was no gut movement so they have given her an injection to kick start it and she's had metacam in case she's in pain. She did say what it was called but I've got a terrible memory (it began with an I).

They've given me some food that I have to syringe feed little and often. They've advised me to keep an eye on her for a couple of days. Luckily, although I had to take them to their Heanor surgery today, they have another branch just 5 minutes from my house which I normally use anyway.

I'm off now to give her some dinner and I'm also going to wash and dry one of my old blankets for her to snuggle for warmth.

Ileus :)

I am sorry your Bun is poorly :cry:
I hope she will feel much better very soon xx

That's the one. Reading up on it, am I being stupid or is Ileus and Stasis one and the same?

I'm just wondering what could have caused it as there's nothing that I think would have caused her stress. We took her with Bruce as a bonded pair from the adoption centre at P@H. That was nearly 2 months ago though, is it possible that she is still feeling stressed from being placed into our care?

I find as well that she's not keen on being picked up and she would prefer to stay in her cage but I force her to come out to get some exercise and playtime. Once she's out, she's happy running around and getting into mischief. Is it possible that I stress her out when I make her come out for exercise and playtime?

One thing I'm doing as well is putting her and Bruce onto a diet of hay only for the next few days until I can get her settled again then gradually introduce a few pellets a day. I don't give them many anyway as I use them as a treat but I think she's going to have to forego any treats right now.

I've got a little hand held massager upstairs which I found in my cupboard and never used (I think it must have been one of hubby's presents one Christmas). Anyway, has anyone found good results with it as I've read on the net that it could be used, just wondering if anyone has any first hand advice about.

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I give her the best care. I'm getting all knotted up in my stomach, am I being stupid for still worrying even though I did the right thing and took her to the vet?

Ileus are G.I. stasis are different names for the same condition, yes.

As well as emotional stress, it can be triggered by anything that causes pain (e.g. dental problems); physical stress e.g. temperature changes; moulting; diet changes; not drinking enough. Often it just seems to happen for no reason at all.
I hope Flower makes a full recovery very quickly xx

Ileus are G.I. stasis are different names for the same condition, yes.

As well as emotional stress, it can be triggered by anything that causes pain (e.g. dental problems); physical stress e.g. temperature changes; moulting; diet changes; not drinking enough. Often it just seems to happen for no reason at all.
I hope Flower makes a full recovery very quickly xx

I was concerned about her teeth when I took her in as I had noticed she had a broken tooth. The vet said the break is old though and as Flower had a full health check when we got her 2 mths ago, I didn't want to force her to let me check her mouth as she's a fiesty little lady.

The vet said apart from the broken tooth which is growing fine, her teeth are in very good condition so it ruled that out. I'm wondering if the moulting you mentioned could maybe have triggered something as I have noticed when I pick her up, I'm covered in fur.

I've not changed her diet, although I was planning on starting to give them fresh herbs from the safe list on here but I will hold back on that now or reduce the amount I was going to buy and just give a bit to the nethies instead.

The good thing is, she's done a few poos this evening. They are about half the size as normal but I'm glad she's doing them at all.

The vet had advised me to separate her and Bruce while I am monitoring her for poos and eating but both of them looked so depressed that I couldn't do it after a couple of hours. I ended up putting them together and they have been much happier.

I've had some play time with her as well, they both love my hoover so I got my dustbuster out which has less suction and have been 'hoovering' their fur. When I was doing Bruce's fur, she shoved herself under the nozzle, so she's obviously loving that :lol:

My only real concern now is the liquid food I've got to feed her. She was fine for the first feed but she's refused another feed and I've ended up covered in the stuff :lol: any tips on this? the syringe also seems to be too thin for the food as the vet said the thicker the food the better. I did make some thicker and tried to spoon feed which she refused, so I stuck a bit of it on her bottom lip which she licked off. Is it advisable or not?

I would not advise splitting up a bonded pair ESSPECIALLY when one is unwell with statis, the stress of not being together could cause even more problems.
It is a great sign that she has started pooping, they will be small to begin with but as long as they are coming out that is the main thing.

You could try putting some of the feed on to her foot/leg (seems mean but she will have to lick it off then, only problem being that she would also injest fur :?

I would not advise splitting up a bonded pair ESSPECIALLY when one is unwell with statis, the stress of not being together could cause even more problems.
It is a great sign that she has started pooping, they will be small to begin with but as long as they are coming out that is the main thing.

You could try putting some of the feed on to her foot/leg (seems mean but she will have to lick it off then, only problem being that she would also injest fur :?

I wasn't happy with keeping them apart as they both looked so miserable, so I ignored the vet's advice on that one and put them back together:lol:

I have got a better syringe now from the vets and can make the mixture thicker as I think she's less likely to let that dribble out of her mouth.

I have also got some infacol, hubby was quite amused when I told him I'd bought it.

I'm off now to get them all cleaned out, give them their respective foods and give them all bunny cuddles.

I've just had to take one of my lops to the vet as I noticed she hadn't eaten since at least 10 this morning, possibly longer.

There was no gut movement so they have given her an injection to kick start it and she's had metacam in case she's in pain. She did say what it was called but I've got a terrible memory (it began with an I).

They've given me some food that I have to syringe feed little and often. They've advised me to keep an eye on her for a couple of days. Luckily, although I had to take them to their Heanor surgery today, they have another branch just 5 minutes from my house which I normally use anyway.

I'm off now to give her some dinner and I'm also going to wash and dry one of my old blankets for her to snuggle for warmth.

Huge get well vibes for Flower xxxx

Is it recovery or critical care you're syringing?

I always add a little more water than the instructions say, otherwise it just blocks the syringe. The extra water is unlikely to do any harm.

Another trick is to soak some of her normal pellets in water for half a hour to soften, then mush then up with a fork, add some probiotic powder or some of the recovery/critical care powder and syringe that - much easier!

If you can hunt down some fibrous plant foods such as blackberry leaves and long grass this may help get things moving xx

Back